Author Topic: Rifle explodes  (Read 9337 times)

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rifle explodes
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Been trying to get a hold of Creigh..( my friend) so he can get a hold of his friend..to ask about some more details.
 but have had no luck yet..
Creigh works long long hours in Canada right now, so sometimes I go weeks without hearing from him.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

JohnJacobH

• Top Forum Member
    • JohnJacobH's RKBA Commentary
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »
Here's my theory...the .308 is shorter, but the bullet is a larger diameter (.308 vs .257). I believe a .308 will chamber, but the bullet will not enter the barrel. Depending on bullet ogive...this will leave the head in the proper place to for the firing pin to reach it. This creates the worst case scenario as the bullet ain't going down the pipe and all that energy has no place to go except through the action.

Understood and agree as to the theory.

But look at your picture. (An excellent one I might add)

The case mouth of the .308 is somewhere in the middle of the shoulder of the 25-06. Is it close enough to seat? This enquiring mind wants to know.

I had just never heard of the 308/25-06 on the "Dangerous Cartridge Combination List".  There is a list somewhere, I think.

Which brings me to another question. What the heck is this guy doing running around Africa with a varmint cartridge? I thought the PH
Outfitters discouraged such things. Even for a second gun.

JohnJacobH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
I had just never heard of the 308/25-06 on the "Dangerous Cartridge Combination List".  There is a list somewhere, I think.

Great Jumping Jehosaphat!

Not only is it "on the list" but the list is far, far, larger than I ever thought possible. Yikes!

http://www.saami.org/Unsafe_Combinations.cfm

Guess that answers that question.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
And the answer is, the Mauser action has a VERY, large extractor. Fully 1/4 of the rim diameter, even in a loose fit such as the .308 in a 25/06 chamber, the extractor will hold the case head close enough for the firing pin to hit with sufficient force to detonate the primer. The projectile has sufficient resistance that every thing behind it is the weakest link. I will admit that this is the worst one I've seen to date.

Anyone shot a 9mm in a .40 caliber  Glock, it will go bang, and rattle down the barrel, and not eject from the loss of power to cycle the slide, cases look awful funny too, but they go bang because of the extractor, keeps the smaller case against the breech, sufficient for combustion.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
Here's my theory...the .308 is shorter, but the bullet is a larger diameter (.308 vs .257). I believe a .308 will chamber, but the bullet will not enter the barrel. Depending on bullet ogive...this will leave the head in the proper place to for the firing pin to reach it. This creates the worst case scenario as the bullet ain't going down the pipe and all that energy has no place to go except through the action.

I agree with CZshooter. 

Most dimensions between the .308 (shorter) and 30-06/25-06 (longer) case are the same, except for length, 0.479" difference.  Since the ogive of a bullet will be somewhat away from the leade in the barrel, there is enough room to allow a .308 cartridge to be loaded in 25-06.  Say your loaded .308 measures 2.810" and 25-06 measures 3.250" and the ogive is 0.010" from leade, that gives the .308, 0.460" room to fit without interference.  Each rifle is different  as to chamber length, so I used a shorter chamber.  Most times rifles have longer chambers.  Thus when the .308" bullet hits the 0.257" diameter bore, catastrophic failure.
DesertMarine

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 08:02:36 PM »

JohnJacobH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »
And the answer is, the Mauser action has a VERY, large extractor. Fully 1/4 of the rim diameter, even in a loose fit such as the .308 in a 25/06 chamber, the extractor will hold the case head close enough for the firing pin to hit with sufficient force to detonate the primer. The projectile has sufficient resistance that every thing behind it is the weakest link. I will admit that this is the worst one I've seen to date.

Anyone shot a 9mm in a .40 caliber  Glock, it will go bang, and rattle down the barrel, and not eject from the loss of power to cycle the slide, cases look awful funny too, but they go bang because of the extractor, keeps the smaller case against the breech, sufficient for combustion.

So the extractor is the villain. Some thing to think about.

Meanwhile, looks like "THE LIST" will need to  be updated. .40 caliber is not on it. 

Wonder if there are any other combinations of chamber and cartridge to keep in mind?

Magoo

• Forum Member
  • Dealer Since 1989.
  • Liked:
Lucky Man indeed !!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
First things 1st. This guy is Lucky. 2nd., He should have know better than mixing Munitions.
The Mauser he used has a "Control Round Feeding". As it picks up the cartridge from the magazine- it's grabs it and holds it until you eject it. A 26-06 & .308 both use a .473 rim. Dia. The Mauser he is using is a "Small Ring " Mauser Action!
That is a NO-NO!! Maximum chamber pressures for a "Small Ring" Mauser is about 40,000 cup.
The 25-06 Cartidge generates about 65,000 cup !!
The .308 generates about the same. That is a Major mess just waiting to happen.
SOG along with a few others we're selling Small Ring Mauser rifles years back that were chambered in .308! Dangerous Mix!
As a graduate of Gunsmithing School, I have seen and heard from others, what happens when you mix bad knowledge with good intentions. The person the built that rifle is Primarily at fault as the Shooter usually doesn't know better! The Shooter is Stupid for mixing munitions or for not observing what he was doing. They failed to mention if it was a Loaner Rifle or his own. I would like to know where he was at when it happened, as I see he had a Suppressor attached too.
When they Come - Surrender All Ammo First.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Magoo

• Forum Member
  • Dealer Since 1989.
  • Liked:
Doh! I see now. I didn't know they allowed Suppressors in Namibia !!
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »
As a Dealer of NFA firearms here in Ohio, I didn't know Namibia allowed Suppressors !
When they Come - Surrender All Ammo First.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

dj454

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 10:05:14 PM »
Sounds and looks plausible.  I have a .308 but not a 25-06 (wish I did!).

Hope some one here has both and can attempt to chamber the .308.
But don't shoot it though.

JohnJacobH

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »
Sounds and looks plausible.  I have a .308 but not a 25-06 (wish I did!).

Hope some one here has both and can attempt to chamber the .308.

Use a snap cap for sure!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=996222

(Shameless Micheal Bane Sponsor Plug)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk