Author Topic: Gun shows  (Read 5478 times)

matthew26

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun shows
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
First let me say hello. Hello!

New here and hangout often over at GT. CCW a G23C. My BUG is a G22 (think of G.W. saying, "That doesn't make any sense.").

I noticed that many firearm shows are very much magazine formats. They jump from topic to topic. Obviously SG is not like that and that is the reason I searched for more onfo on the show and fell into this site. It is my favorite show concerning firearms and (family, homeland, home, self, etc.) defense. Michael, thanks for bringing the masses a high-quality show.

All of the shows (SG is the exception, jury is still out on PDTV) have the same format. I can't even watch G&A without thinking about pulling the trigger and destroying the TV (better not watch it on the new TV). American Rifleman has gotten better this season but still has room for improvement.

Anyway, I have an idea for a shooting show to replace all of the others on TV now.

I don't know if the market is ready for such a show, but I'd like to propose a show about firearms by a young female. Not what you think. Obviously white middle-aged men shoot. I know because every show about firearms has a white middle-aged host. Now granted it would still have to be the same caliber as SG.

Then, just as SG, stick to one topic (hopefully one pertinent to the intended audience - females and beginning shooters).

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: Gun shows
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
Great idea.  Just think what a show it would be if the first one could book Nancy Pelosi !  (snicker, snicker)

No, really, I'd like to see something along the firearms line of things that my wife would watch.  If she picked up some interest in the guns I might, possibly, on a good day, with the moon just right, Saturn aligned with Venus and the sun on my shoulder, with a song in my heart and hell frozen solid twice over....get her to possibly, maybe follow me to rifle range instead of the mall.  Well, it ain't all that bad, she'll go out with me at least once a year to shoot...and usually makes about six hours at the Wannamacher's Gun Show with me before scurrying off.

Seriously, if not a show maybe Downrange TV could have a weekly spot of women's interest.  I believe a lot of what keeps women from the range is that they are gun-ignorant (ignorant is not a cuss word people) and afraid to ask basic questions (whatever those are) and we guyz (own up here men) don't address their questions the way they want them addressed....so they don't dare ask.  To be totally politically incorrect, women don't like the way men "explain" things to them and honestly, I don't care, I don't get it, I just recognize it and go on but a woman explaining something to a woman works.  I view this as a "Mars and Venus" thing.

I think it would be great to have "pretty guns" with a "pretty lady" who talks right on TV so that the soccer moms would watch....kind of a bait and switch advertising, for instance, the pretty little Taurus Titanium snubbie with the blue anodized finish and gold hardware and then....show them how to load it, or pull the trigger, or cock the hammer, or uncock the hammer and keep it safe...give'em safety tips on how to handle the kiddies around it.  The really simple stuff is unknown by the masses of women who simply won't ask their men these really simple questions. 

Who knows...a cottage industry may erupt in encrusting diamonds and rubies in gun sights instead of light tubes and scopes.  Damn this idea.

Hey, Mr. Bane, can my wife get a free snubbie if you use this idea?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
I mentioned this elsewhere in DRTV, get HER a gun. Worked wonders for me, all the whining about "Whay are you buying another gun, you only have two hands!" stopped, and now she pesters me to go to the range.

As for pretty girls, Michael, maybe you could hook up with Dillon (another idea for the site, Reloading 101 with (donated?) Dillon equipment) and they might loan you the use of Cathy, one of their top poster girls. Of course, I have a real problem even finding the gun on the cover when she's on, so she may distract from the video. Maybe.

Just a thought, just an innocent thought . . . .
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »
After a Browing BDA .380, a Beretta Tomcat in .32, a Taurus CIA Titanium 38 special in anondized blue and gold, a Sig-Hammerli Trailside in .22, and a Bushmaster M4A3 to to match with my M4A2 for a his and hers' pair (well, she doesn't know about her A3 yet) plus a standing offer to buy her whatever else she might wanna shoot....she still doesn't get motivated.   Heck...I even told her I'd buy her a M82A1 instead of slightly less expensive jewlry and she went for the jewlry....go figure.

But.....she did say something about Crimson Trace the other day...only problem is she doesn't want to get rid of the imitation pearl grips...help us out here Crimson Trace....the ladies want "purty".  She does not want the utilitarian black grips....she wants her pearls ! ! !   Still she doesn't complain about guns leaning up in the corner of the living room or by the bathroom windows to protect the apples from the fox squirrels so it works for us....though she did complain about no space under the bed and made me buy a gun safe...sweet girl.

Manufacturers need to simply look home and tailor their wares to catch the female eye and recognize the women control most of the money and all of, well, all of it. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
Interestingly enough, in more than 4 years of SHOOTING GALLERY, the only show that I ever had to go to the mattresses (so to speak) about was the show on women competition shooters. The Channel and my co-prodicer were adamantly against a shooting show episode featuring women in any other than an ancialliary role. I put my foot down, the show ran and it had great numbers and that was that.

I'd be happy to add a Women's Channel to DOWN RANGE TELEVISION...I mentioned it at the SHOT Show to Debbie Ferns (http://babeswithbullets.net/) and she said she'd think about it. I'm also going to be doing some filming with TL&ALF* (*The Lovely & Acerbic Lisa Farrell, who, in addition to having been in the Blue Press, is the 6X ICORE Women's World Champion revolver shooter and a longtime Production Assistant for SG and SHOT Show Teevee0.

I've been surprised that no dhow has copied the SG/COWBOYS format, because it is so successful. Mostly it's because it's easier to SELL EDIT in the magazine format shows, which I consider unethical and sleazy as all get-out. On most shows, you don't get to even see a product unless tha company has ponied up big bucks...you knew this already, right?

I was adamant that I wouldn't do it — although we got huge amounts of pressure. I was also adamant that I would fully disclose my relationships within the industry, and I have. In one painful incidence, I turned down BIG MONEY to be the "celebrity endorser" for a company...broke my heart (and wallet), but I can still look at myself in the mirror in the AM! If I say on a show I use something, it's because I use it, not because someone paid me to say that!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:10:22 PM »

HBMan

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »
it's because I use it, not because someone paid me to say that!

Michael, this part of your character comes out in your shows and is a big reason you have the following you do with your shows. 

We have enough gun mags and magazine programs telling us what the advertisers want us to hear. I agree
the in depth show format and HOW to USE a product is what a lot of us like to watch.

As a baseball fan of a high exposure team that put a woman on their satellite radio broadcasts I really like the perspective of the women's points of view when she knows what she is talking about. Where I am going with this is there are TOO many shows on the tube that only have airheaded women on it for titillation
(which I agree ain't all bad   ;D) but adds little to the substance of a program that is under the guise of educating thier veiwers.

"How to" shows are great especially for beginners (whether male or female) because while guys like me have been shooting for years there are areas and disciplines of the shooting sports that can open new doors and breath some life maybe in another direction of enjoying shooting. Showcasing different TYPES of weapons also introduces a lot of people to try something new. Everybody STARTS somewhere! But YOU already know that! ;D

sigsour

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 07:23:40 PM »
Speaking of the females. Wouldn't it be great to see if some of the girls that appear on the cover of the Blue Press can really shoot! ::)

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
Still think this is a good idea. Every shooting related advice program I listen to or watch always advises that Husbands and boyfriends are NOT the best ones to teach women how to shoot, most of the shooting academies have women instructors for womens classes. This is because women students are often more comfortable with women instructors, who are more attuned to their way of thinking. To guys it may seem like a hen party, (thats gonna get me in trouble ;D  ) but the ladies come away with the information they need in a form that THEY can relate to. I bet Marshal'ette and Lisa Farrel could contribute suggestions us guys would never think of.

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
I bet Marshal'ette and Lisa Farrel could contribute suggestions us guys would never think of.

When it comes to fast high powered automatic shooting...Lisa is so far out of my league as it could be. Lisa Farrel can out suggest me in a New York minute. She has forgotten more than I have ever known about competition shooting. . In the shooting world, I am an avid admirer of hers.
She is an awesome shooter and has shown me a few tricks that I have been practicing on.
And see...? The difference between her showing ME tips on how to shoot better ...than showing YOU men how to shoot better is this.
Since she is very pretty and a "good looker", ... and I am heterosexual female and she is a heterosexual female.. I can concentrate on what she is telling me. Where as you men might have a hard time concentrating on her facts..instead of her.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

But let me tell you .. this girl knows her stuff. ( And her boyfriend is proof of that. ) She picked a good-un'.. He's a keeper...
But so is she.  Lisa is fun and when she was showing me the right way to hold the gun to get better accuracy at fast shoots... she never once made me feel like I was dumb for not being able to catch on immediately.

Now on the other hand...if you want to go out and shoot for $hits and giggles, or if you want hunting and fishing tips.. and lots of good time smart ass bantering.. then I could probably help you out 100% in that area..
You are right Tom... I could give you suggestions like you have never imagined.. 

"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
When it comes to fast high powered automatic shooting...Lisa is so far out of my league as it could be. Lisa Farrel can out suggest me in a New York minute. She has forgotten more than I have ever known about competition shooting. . In the shooting world, I am an avid admirer of hers.
She is an awesome shooter and has shown me a few tricks that I have been practicing on.
And see...? The difference between her showing ME tips on how to shoot better ...than showing YOU men how to shoot better is this.
Since she is very pretty and a "good looker", ... and I am heterosexual female and she is a heterosexual female.. I can concentrate on what she is telling me. Where as you men might have a hard time concentrating on her facts..instead of her.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

But let me tell you .. this girl knows her stuff. ( And her boyfriend is proof of that. ) She picked a good-un'.. He's a keeper...
But so is she.  Lisa is fun and when she was showing me the right way to hold the gun to get better accuracy at fast shoots... she never once made me feel like I was dumb for not being able to catch on immediately.

Now on the other hand...if you want to go out and shoot for $hits and giggles, or if you want hunting and fishing tips.. and lots of good time smart ass bantering.. then I could probably help you out 100% in that area..
You are right Tom... I could give you suggestions like you have never imagined.. 

My point exactly, You both know what the average person needs to know about shooting and safety, While Lisa may know the fancy stuff for Ladies who want to pursue the sport further. But it's not about teaching me, it's about teaching my sister or mother and you Ladies can put that information out in a manner that will stick with other women. It doesn't have to be advanced gun handling, for competition, just basic safety, a video glossary, that sort of thing. Tom Gresham tells a story about a MAN, who's son wanted to get into shooting, he went to the gun store and wanted to look at some guns, the clerk asked if he wanted a rifle or shotgun, the mans answer was what's the difference ? He was THAT ignorant (Uneducated) on the subject. You ladies can answer those kinds of questions that Ladies may be hesitant to ask, because they don't want to appear dumb. And of course seeing you Ladies on TV would guarantee that the show would NOT lose it's male viewers as we are mostly heterosexual as well .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk