Author Topic: Bullpups - Tavor  (Read 7739 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Bullpups - Tavor
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:10:44 AM »
Okay, not a fan of bullpups.   Nothing in the show particularly changed my mind.  If I were in the IDF and clearing urban buildings, maybe.

However after watching the show, I've got this itch for a Tavor.   That and the wife wants me to put together, short-term and long-term bugout bags.  I'm thinking the Tavor would be great.

Did they mention on the show how it takes AR magazines?   And that IWI has said they might offer a 9mm conversion kit?   

Checking on-line, I'm seeing about $1,700 for a flat top version with no optics.   Might have to wait awhile, but definitely something to consider.   As one article has said, with the popularity of ARs in this country it might be a bad time to introduce this rifle.   That might keep the prices down for a while.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Bullpups - Tavor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
My biggest problem with a bullpup design is the trigger, which was mentioned in the show.  It also mentioned that the good aftermarket trigger folks should be working on a replacement for the Tavor. 

Seems like a big job to me.  Linkage with no flexing or binding  or drag and low weight.  Sounds like a titanium rod, solid or hollow and bearings.  Then it all has to work in any position, canted, up or down pitch, and upside down.  But then I'm not any kind of engineer, so. hopefully, the smart guys can make it work at a reasonable price.

The AR is gaining favor as a home defense weapon due to "stopping power" and bullet design limiting penetration of walls.  The Tavor would be a good improvement over the AR in close quarters work.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Alf - The Tavor takes standard AR magazines.

As for bullpups, I am a huge fan, even though I have never owned one. I have relatively short arms, and every bullpup I've held/used (PS90, Tavor) fits beautifully.

I want a Kel-Tec RFB in the worst way to replace my other 7.62 rifles, but I have yet to find a dealer who has even seen one, let alone had one in stock. They also take rather pricey FAL/DSA magazines.

And the Tavor? Major want. $1700 seems to be pretty much the street price these days, so it is a lot of cash over a standard M4-gery.

And, yeah, the triggers, but I have no doubt that Geissele or CMC will come up with something.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »
Alf - The Tavor takes standard AR magazines.

I was just asking if they mentioned that or the 9mm conversion on the show.

Anybody can be good.  Awesome takes practice.
Will work for ammo

BAC

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
I find it interesting that the 9mm version is ambidextrous, but the .223 version requires the purchase of a different bolt to make it left-handed.  That's just 'memberin' off the top of my head.  I may be wrong about that.  I do, however, really miss Gun Stories now that we've ditched cable TV.  Anything else I can ramble on about?  I don't know, maybe.  Shiny!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:01:42 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
I find it interesting that the 9mm version is ambidextrous, but the .223 version requires the purchase of a different bolt to make it left-handed.  That's just 'memberin' off the top of my head.  I may be wrong about that.  I do, however, really miss Gun Stories now that we've ditched cable TV.  Anything else I can ramble on about?  I don't know, maybe.  Shiny!

My guess is that the 9mm is a blowback and that, somehow, makes ambidextrous bolt operation simpler.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:14:41 AM »
I do, however, really miss Gun Stories now that we've ditched cable TV.

So sorry Brian.  Does Roku offer OC?

Of course there are clips from the shows on-line.  And I'll try to keep coming with my pithy, little comments on each show so you can chime in.

Will work for ammo

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
I recently bought one.  The trigger needs work,but every thing else is very nice.   Fee ok s better in the hand then a ar
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

BAC

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »
So sorry Brian.  Does Roku offer OC?

Of course there are clips from the shows on-line.  And I'll try to keep coming with my pithy, little comments on each show so you can chime in.

I recently discovered a pay version of OC on the Roku.  It's $4.99/month, but I don't know how current the shows are, and if there are enough shows that I would watch to justify the cost.  We ditched cable to save money after all, and I don't go for all those whispering hunting shows.

They do have a 7 day free trial.  Maybe I'll give it go some weekend.  With my schedule I really only watch TV on Sunday night and occasionally on Saturday night.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk