Author Topic: My thoughts on 1911 carry  (Read 20649 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1121
Re: My thoughts on 1911 carry
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »
I've been watching for stories about ADs and NDs for the past 6 months. Glocks seem to be involved in more than their fair share. Having said that, we all know that 100% of them resulted from someone having their finger on the trigger when it shouldn't have been.

As for my story on my ND

http://negligentdischarge.com

Please be kind.

At least you aren't eligible for a DARWIN Award. You knew someone would have to mention that sooner or later. On one X-ray it looks like you have a heel spur too. Mine only hurts if I stand up or if I stood up the day before.  ;D

Frank
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 02:25:32 AM »
I can carry my Para LDA UNcocked and locked which I believe makes it safer than any single action 1911 and most DAOs. To me it seems to have most of the advantages of conventional 1911s and DAO autos. Most DAOs don't even have a safety so there are accidents waiting to happen. I also have heard about a lot of Glocks going bang when they shouldn't. But if you hang your pistol by the trigger when sitting on the toilet, maybe you deserve to be shot in the @$$. Anyone who can't handle a pistol safely shouldn't carry one. Unfortunately most of these Glock accidents are happening to cops.
That Para LDA sure has some great carry advantages. My HK USP is similar. I can carry it cocked and unlocked, cocked and locked and uncocked/unlocked. One extra bonus is that I can also run cleaning and maintenance with the safety engaged. The slide will even cycle with the safety engaged. After that ND story, I'll always be double checking the barrel. The HK is definitely not as slim for carry.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 01:09:35 PM »
Asuming your 1911 is in sound working order, carrying it cocked and locked is safer then most striker fired pistols. 

3 things would have to happen for it to go bang.

Safety would have to come off
the grib safety would have to be depressed
the trigger would have to be pulled.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1121
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 02:55:29 AM »
I just thought of something. How often do you guys check your grip safety? I don't check mine very often.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
I just thought of something. How often do you guys check your grip safety? I don't check mine very often.

That's a very good point, glad you mentioned it.
I just replaced one for a friend in his Springfield 1911 (I built it for him in 1997). It had worn down enough at the contact point that it no longer blocked the trigger. He had just put a coat of Dura-coat on the frame and asked me to come over and reassemble it. I noticed it was worn, and sure enough, when I got it back together, it didnt block properly. Good thing is, it's a quick fix.
I check mine often.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 03:06:03 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
It's a good idea to check all the safety features every time you clean your weapon. I run through the various safeties and all just to check.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 07:36:22 AM »
All these guns are safe to be carried... if done so by a responsible person who is familiar with that particular weapon.  And I don't care what some say about Glock not being safe because they don't have a manual safety etc. They are simply ignorant to the fact that Glocks are safe... as long as you don't pull the trigger or as long as you don't let something touch the trigger when the gun is ready to fire...that means a holster, etc. If you securely carry your gun with the trigger covered and keep it secure.. it is safe.. why is that so hard for some to understand. Furthermore, what happens if your safety gets knocked off a gun that has a safety or if you forget to put the safety on? Then you have the same situation of a Glock but without the safety system of the Glock.. which would be less safe. ........ Anyway.. carry any gun in a safe manner it will be okay.

tombogan03884

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
All these guns are safe to be carried... if done so by a responsible person who is familiar with that particular weapon.  And I don't care what some say about Glock not being safe because they don't have a manual safety etc. They are simply ignorant to the fact that Glocks are safe... as long as you don't pull the trigger or as long as you don't let something touch the trigger when the gun is ready to fire...that means a holster, etc. If you securely carry your gun with the trigger covered and keep it secure.. it is safe.. why is that so hard for some to understand. Furthermore, what happens if your safety gets knocked off a gun that has a safety or if you forget to put the safety on? Then you have the same situation of a Glock but without the safety system of the Glock.. which would be less safe. ........ Anyway.. carry any gun in a safe manner it will be okay.

HawkFish, I am not familiar with the safety design of the Glock, I have only fired them on 2 occasions, My experience is with SA or DA/SA revolvers and SA semi auto's (1911, P-38 etc.) Other than a longer trigger pull why is a Glock safer than a DA revolver (if in fact it is) It is my impression that a Glock would be less safe than a "locked and cocked" thumb safety engaged 1911, is this correct, or is there something to the design that I am over looking, (bearing in mind that with a 1911 even if the thumb safety gets knocked off it is still necessary to overcome the grip safety in order to fire) My question assumes all pistols in factory working order and equal training for users.
Please don't take this as Glock bashing, or trying to get your goat (I'd NEVER do a thing like that ;D ) I was in fact favorably impressed with both examples I have had the opportunity to try even if trigger pull was longer than I'm used to.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
tombogan03884, I will try to explain further. I would like to point out too that it wouldn't matter if you were bashing Glocks. I don't care if someone doesn't like Glock. That's is their opinion and prerogative. What bothers me is when they safe stuff that just flat isn't true or they just flat don't know what they are talking about. So...

Glock's are super simply and effective. Contrary to the conventional 1911 style, the trigger is the only operating element. All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released. Therefore, even though Glock doesn't have an external safety, it has three internal safeties. Once you start pulling the trigger in kinda goes in a chain reaction..then it fires. If it doesn't get through the whole chain of motion..the gun won't fire. The only way it will fire is for the standard 5.5lb.. or 3.5lb ..or whatever the trigger pull weight of that particular gun is... to be applied to the trigger and then pulled all the way back.. thus getting the striker to hit the bullet. Basically, the gun won't fire until you pull the trigger all the way back. And if you don't... the gun's internal safties are engaged..until you do. That's why they call them Glock "Safe Action" Pistols. So, contrary to what people say (especially anti-Glocker's) unless you pulll the trigger so far back..they won't go boom. But, guess what if you do pull the trigger or allow something to push/pull the trigger.. you better believe that the gun will fire.. because they are dependable, reliable, and don't jam. And this is exactly what is so upsetting. Someone dosen't keep the trigger covered or allows something to get inside the trigger guard and then the gun goes off. That's not Glocks fault. That is some goober's fault that wasn't using proper gun safety.. Yet other goober's will blame Glock.. which shows how un-gun-safe or non-gun understanding they are. It's not the guns fault! It also applies to others guns. People need to stand up and take some responsibility instead of blaming someone else for their stupidity. I hope that helps further explain why Glocks are safe if you understand the truth.

tombogan03884

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 11:23:26 AM »
Thanks for the explanation HawkFish.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk