Author Topic: Tikka answer to Ruger Scout  (Read 23500 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Tikka answer to Ruger Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
I like my Tikka, but Savage is still my go to for overall value.  Out of the box accuracy, dependability, and a price that is affordable.

Have to agree about Savage.  Both my centerfire bolt guns are Savage products. 

It seems that more and more I tend to look for guns that will fill a "tactical" role in addition to any use I have planned. 

With that in mind I tend to look for a removable magazine with more capacity than the Savage Hunter (4 rounds). 

I have seen a 15 round for the Savage Axis in .223, at $46.

Anyone found sources for other models/calibers (223/308 primary interest) and the more reasonable the price the better?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 872
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
The Savage Hog Hunter looks good, as does the Blazer, but the Tikka has detachable magazine.   Closer to the "Scout" concept, just with scope-over-action rails.

The detachable magazine and magazine capacity is the one issue I thought of as I looked at the Savage.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
Actually it looks like many of the Savage models have detachable magazines, but all are listed at 4 rounds capacity.  One listing at $2500 has 5 round capacity.

If it is detachable, it is possible that an aftermarket magazine would work....would be nice if Magpul serviced that market.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
Re: Scout rifles;

My son and I have kicked this around several times and decided no one makes a good one.

Needs;

1. Bolt action .308.  I'd start with the Savage Hog Hunter, good length and weight, plus has the medium barrel (threaded) and of course, Savage accuracy.
2. detachable mags (common type)  or preferable use  M1 enbloc clips (they will do .308) and have them fall out the bottom when last round fed into chamber.
3. Ability to be fed by stripper clips
4. IRON SIGHTS
5. system to attach scope that will not interfere with iron sight usage (see through mounts or something).
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
Re: Scout rifles;

My son and I have kicked this around several times and decided no one makes a good one.

Needs;

1. Bolt action .308.  I'd start with the Savage Hog Hunter, good length and weight, plus has the medium barrel (threaded) and of course, Savage accuracy.
2. detachable mags (common type)  or preferable use  M1 enbloc clips (they will do .308) and have them fall out the bottom when last round fed into chamber.
3. Ability to be fed by stripper clips
4. IRON SIGHTS
5. system to attach scope that will not interfere with iron sight usage (see through mounts or something).

Hog Hunter has an internal box   magazine.  Look like you would go for M1 clips.  Done any research on what it would take to modify the Hog Hunter to use them?  And fall out the bottom?

UPDATE:  found a post that said this would work.  Would be a good start.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718365/hogue-overmolded-rifle-stock-savage-10-series-short-action-detachable-magazine-standard-contour-pillar-bed-rubber-black

Here is the post:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/275819-savage-hog-hunter-mag-question.html
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:39:18 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
Hog Hunter has an internal box   magazine.  Look like you would go for M1 clips.  Done any research on what it would take to modify the Hog Hunter to use them?  And fall out the bottom?

Nope,

Just a wish list for some mfg (Savage are you listening?)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

BAC

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 03:25:52 AM »
How about the Mossberg MVP?

P.S.  The Blaser has a detachable magazine.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
MVP is close but I think a 16.25 barrel is too short for a .308.

BAC

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
MVP is close but I think a 16.25 barrel is too short for a .308.

I thought they had models with longer barrels.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »
I see a few MVP Predator models with an 18.5 barrel, but see none with fixed sights.

http://www.mossberg.com/rifle-calibers/762mm-nato-308-win

Googled for replacement barrels for the 16.5 in. MVP Patrol, but found none.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk