Author Topic: BLR Project just got real.  (Read 18425 times)

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BLR Project just got real.
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
Cell phones often fail when lines are overloaded with calls. Service is often spotty at major sporting events, and a disaster will be worse.

During the big ice storm in KY in 2009, almost all phones, cell and land, were down.

Timothy

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
I don't know about the others, but I know for a fact that during the aftermath of the Marathon bombing there was no cell service in the Boston Metro area. I was sitting beside a friend of mine while he tried to call relitives and friends to check on his Grand daughter at Tuft's University .

I've not looked into this, Tom but, they may have shut the towers down around Boston to prevent remote activation of more IED's.  It makes sense, at least in my feeble little brain...

I lived 50 miles from Boston and we had no problems at that time.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
There is a system that allows only designated priority users of the cell systems access.  Think first responders, public service hierarchy, and various emergency agencies.

I know it was widely discussed some years ago but I don't know if they implemented it or if so whether it has been activated for things like the Boston bombing.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »
Kevin... good article... I would suggest an LED headlamp, even an inexpensive one, and a dedicated task light to save the phone batteries...I EDC a Fenix E05 on a key chain and the 2014 version has  85/25/8 lumen options, but am most impressed with the Solar Force L2 series of flashlight bodies for CR123 batteries... with one of their XM-L2 U2 LED modules you get a 540/150/15 lumen three mode option... for about $30 less batteries ... I'm giving some EDC oriented gifts this year for Christmas...
Fenix E01, US Shelby P38, and Acme 636 whistle ... and a pill fob when I find a suitable one

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »
P38  :D :D :D

I carry one I've had for 46 years  :D

Pry bar, screwdriver - both flat and philips, scraper, chisel ...hmm..something else too...ahh  can opener
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 12:34:01 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
P38  :D :D :D

I carry one I've had for 46 years  :D

Coming up on 40 years for mine.....  Mine's steel...never corrodes, tough little sucker...

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »
re P38... still have a Shelby and carry a Speaker from the JSPC chow hall at Torii Station, Okinawa 1971... I had to search to find real US Shelby,O production for the gifts...

tombogan03884

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
I've still got a couple P-38's around, used to always have one between my dog tags rubber banded together.
Now I carry a Swiss Army knife, Saw, scissors, magnifying glass, punch/reamer,2 flat tip &1 phillips screw driver, can and bottle openers, cork screw, 2 blades, and a couple things I don't know what the hell they're for.
Never had any use for them till I got one in the early 90's . I took it to work and after I used the magnifier and tweezers on metal slivers, and cut banding with the scissors I decided it was a pretty good tool . I'm still carrying the same one as a key fob 20 years later.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Well, we're going into St. Louis again tomorrow, this time to visit the Science Museum, and yes, I will be taking the truck gun and the get-home bag with us.

Lesson learned.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

Timothy

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »
Any recommendations on a backpack?  I have most everything I need but lugging it in a cheap pack or duffle is tedious...

I'm looking at the Condor 3 day pack at about 1-3/4 cubic ft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk