Author Topic: Optics Conundrum  (Read 3967 times)

MLC

• Active Forum Member
    • Place where I post things
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Optics Conundrum
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:02:20 AM »
So I have an AR.  It was built for mutligun, but I'd like to keep it versatile for use as a home defense/shtf/anything my pistol can't deal with type thing.

My question to you good folks is this:  If I'm going to run an offset dot sight, is there any advantage to a variable magnification scope vs a fixed power?  Would it be a versatility thing?  I have back up irons, in case you were wondering.  If you weren't, I told you anyway. ;)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Optics Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
First let me disclose I don't shoot 3gun.  Don't have time to do much 1gun as it is.

If the scope is for long range, the red dot for short, then I don't see the need for variable zoom.  Problem is, and why I'm chiming in, is that fixed power scopes are real limited.  Many companies dropped out of making quality, fixed power scopes (other than 4x).   Seems the market was demanding variables. I was lucky to get one of the Nikon Monarch 6x before they were discontinued.    Leoupold and S&B still make good FP scopes, but some of them cost more than my guns.

So my very unqualified opinion is, if the scope is just for long distances, I'd put a fixed power scope somewhere in the 8x range.   Easy to pick up the target, but strong enough to be sure of your aimpoint.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
What about a flip to the side magnifier/red dot combo? Think "Uber tactical".

Kidding about that, but kinda serious. I dont think it would be practical though for your multi-gun.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
A variable power scope would offer the precision of high power at long distances along with speed at intermediate distances. You could keep it on a lower setting until you need to take a long shot. With all your needs a fixed scope would be a compromise IMO.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »
you didn't comment about price... most of the younger shooter in multigun down here use a low power variable 1-4 like the Burris MTAC or similar...I shot a fixed 4x32 TA01 for all six of the Ft Benning matches, and recently upgraded to a TA31F (with red chevron)..  both have 5.56 bullet drop compensators....it takes some getting used to for the Bindon Aiming Concept (the chevron is at the 1x focal plane and allows you to track moving objects, and when they or the gun stops, allows your brain to take over at the 4x setting) most important for me, is that the stadia lines subtend 19" at indicated distances (width of a man's shoulders), so each section of the stadia line on either side of the vertical is 10" of hold off for wind... at Ft Benning in 2010, I had to hold approximately 15" of wind for the 10" MGM flash targets at 415meters... for really close targets I use a Dueck clone roll over sight... YMMV

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:22:38 AM »

MLC

• Active Forum Member
    • Place where I post things
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:55 AM »
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the wisdom.

Les - I didn't comment on price because at this point it's more theoretical.  I've seen some nice fixed magnification scopes in my price range and some nice variable magnification scopes in my price range.  The principle was of greater concern to me.

Like many, I have Trijicon taste and a Barska budget. This also means I'm not opposed to saving my pennies a little while longer.  I'm not sure if mentioning my options would help or not, but I was thinking about the Burris AR-532 or 332 fixed powers or the Primary Arms 1-6 variable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk