Author Topic: LCP or other .380?  (Read 18298 times)

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LCP or other .380?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Really like the Sig 238. I never could warm up to the long trigger pull on the LCP(original ones.) It is also nice having a usable set of sights. If you look around you can find them new for under $500.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
I haven't been to the gun store to see what they have but the SIG is over my budget. This has been a very expensive week for me and I may wait a month or two to buy anything.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
I haven't been to the gun store to see what they have but the SIG is over my budget. This has been a very expensive week for me and I may wait a month or two to buy anything.

Ain't that the way it goes?

Every time I try to save up for a new gun purchase, about the time I'm ready to 'pull the trigger' something else steps in to take the money.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
We've got some pretty good deals on the 938 right now. We're a SIG Master Dealer (or whatever that program is called now...) so we get some good deals.

(Yes, it's a shameless commercial plug). :D
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »
update on the sights for my LCP... milled a 1/8" slot and silver soldered a 1/8" piece of key stock for the front, and a .330" standard dove tail and a take off 1911 sight with the hole opened up to 1/8" for the rear...

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:35:32 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »
First time I ever heard of a 1911 rear sight being an improvement  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
First time I ever heard of a 1911 rear sight being an improvement  ;D

Ditto that.

Besides, are you telling me you're suppose to AIM that thing?  I thought they were one-handed point and click devices.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »
update on the sights for my LCP... milled a 1/8" slot and silver soldered a 1/8" piece of key stock for the front, and a .330" standard dove tail and a take off 1911 sight with the hole opened up to 1/8" for the rear...

Nice improvement, but for my carry practice the nice sights would be a hindrance - too many sharp points and edges to snag.  I have aimed my LCP on occasion, but I practice and treat it as a point and shoot defensive tool.

My first pocket pistol was a Kel-Tek, but I wasn't happy with the fit and finish.  I donated it to a fund raiser, and later that year I purchased my LCP.  Could be the same gun off another line - Similar to the GM line where they have multiple models under different branches that improve quality.  After years of use and carry I believe my Kel-Tek would have carried the wear and battle scars to make it the same as the LCP.

All of this said, third and fourth magazines, and boxes of ammunition are not good reasons to choose a firearm.  Purchase the firearm, prove it is reliable, prove the ammunition of your choice, then go out and purchase the extras you want.  Most gun fights are over with the first magazine, so more in the pocket is like a spare tire in the car - A necessity, but in MOST cases not a primary need.  So this begs the question:  If one magazine in the gun is a must, and one spare along is a must, how many more do I need?

Best of luck making your choice and use of your new tool!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
I go with a minium of 6 mags for each gun except for my sig 229"s.  One is SA?DA the other is a DAK and I have a total of 9 mags.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Year ago I read a piece by Jeff Cooper on the number and rotation of .45 ACP magazines for the 1911.

IIRC, he recommended 5 magazines.   

One loaded in in the gun.
Two carried as spares
Two empty and resting. (some worry at that time about spring fatigue)

Don't remember what the rotation time was, but  the in-gun magazine would go to rest, the longest loaded spare to in-gun, the longest empty to loaded spare.

I don't follow the schedule but I do tend to try to get 5 magazines, minimum. for each weapon.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk