Author Topic: Gun safe or vault for new house construction?  (Read 5880 times)

Herknav

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gun safe or vault for new house construction?
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
In the 9/24/14, Michael lists the ways in which he loves his fireproof safe. It made me wonder why he made the decision to keep a safe vice having a walk-in vault installed in the NEW secret hidden bunker. As someone who hopes to build someday, I was curious what folks chose and why.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Gun safe or vault for new house construction?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:12:23 AM »
cost
if you think that $5000 safe is expensive, you could drop $20000 on building a small vault very easily.  I mean no options.  just a walk in closet sized vault.  As a long time general contractor, having built several over the years.... I would not build one for myself.  this is coming from some one that has 3 huge safes
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »
If I were going to build, (and we've considered this), I would take one room and make it a safe room. Make the walls and ceiling out of concrete, and install a good safe door. The builder might have to pour the slab a bit thicker, but it wouldn't be a big deal.

I would also set the safe door deeper allowing for a regular interior door to block the view. So from the outside it would appear to be a normal bedroom to anyone who would visit. Vault doors attract unwanted attention. I think it's a better solution than moving and placing a bunch of safes that are NEVER big enough, and shout out, "I've got a lot of GUNS!", to everyone who walks through your home.

Just like in politics, perception is everything. Remember, people actually thought Obama was smart.

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
Bill, remember ventilation, a room isn't safe if the O2 runs out !  ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:31:39 AM »
It wouldn't be that costly to add a couple of vents and electrical outlets. They would just have to be rough cored out before pouring the concrete. Especially if they were added to the roof.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:58:50 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
It wouldn't be that costly to add a couple of vents and electrical outlets. They would just have to be rough cored out before pouring the concrete. Especially if they were added to the roof.
its  lot more work then you think.  Materials alone are 10k++++    Its not as simple as a thicker slab.  Believe it or not most bank vualts . Come in panels and are glued toegther. (No joke)  there are also a whole slew of firecodes for them, none of which are cheap.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »
If I were going to build, (and we've considered this), I would take one room and make it a safe room. Make the walls and ceiling out of concrete, and install a good safe door. The builder might have to pour the slab a bit thicker, but it wouldn't be a big dea

Or even a good fire door, and then put the safe in there.

A vault might make the house harder to re-sell, but a good safe room would increase the resale value, especially if your home is anywhere near Tornado Alley.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

DanPatWork

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
Frank is a regular over on sigforum.com on their forums, and he does excellent work. I would refer you to someone like him regarding this topic. I'm sure he answers these question often.     Here is is business http://www.zykansafe.com/
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
Safes can be moved, a 'gun room' can be changed around or even changed to a different room.
A vault room can't.
None of my safes are visble to anyone that just comes into my house w/o me letting them past a locked bedroom door. Otherwise, it's just another closed interior door.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
its  lot more work then you think.  Materials alone are 10k++++    Its not as simple as a thicker slab.  Believe it or not most bank vualts . Come in panels and are glued toegther. (No joke)  there are also a whole slew of firecodes for them, none of which are cheap.

Really???

In our area the vaults are poured in place.  Nothing more than a thick slab, walls, and roof, all with extra re-bar.  Billt is on the right track.  If you have an existing structure you can retrofit through a combination of pouring floors, cement blocks and grout, and a concrete cap.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk