Author Topic: Training for Trainers  (Read 5315 times)

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Training for Trainers
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »
I got my NRA Instructor Basic Pistol qual a few years ago, but I never pursued training others because a) the market in the Phoenix, Arizona area was super-saturated with firearms trainers and b) a year after I got my qual, Az went to Constitutional Carry and demand for the CCW's went thru the floor.

However, it turns out that there are very few CCW trainers in my corner of Missouri, so I thinking about hanging out my shingle and start teaching defensive pistol.

But.

I'd like to have some more training in firearms instruction than what just came with my NRA class. I've had decent level of training (about 200+ hours as I write this), but only 12 hours of that was how to train others. I'm considering either learning from either Gabe Suarez or Rob Pincus because I like the stuff they're teaching, but what other schools are out there that will teach firearms training but don't involve taking 4 years of advanced-level classes first?
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
Re: Training for Trainers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
Mas Ayoob will bring his LFI classes to your local range (as most reputable trainers will do) if you guarantee a minimum number of students.
I have always wanted to take classes from him, as well as the two you mentioned. Suarez had a week of training at my good friend's range a few years ago just five miles from my house, but I had a prior obligation that kept me from being involved.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »
Peg, I don't think he is interested in more "gun training", but more training in how to teach gun training.

Beyond what NRA offers I think your only further option would be to take courses in teaching in general through your local community collage.

ExurbanKevin

• Working on Gun Culture 2.1RC3
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • There are CZ's, and there's everything else
    • Ammoman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
A little from Column A and a little from Column B, actually. :D

Part of what I want is to become a better teacher, but part of it is to gain more "tools in the toolbox" when it comes to what I teach.

I like the idea of a MAG40 class, because I consider that to be the gold standard in "civilian" CCW training.
I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

brushmore

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
When it comes to becoming a better teacher what I do is to help out other instructors in my area.  Since I am a rifle instructor there always seems to be a need to help out with the scouts.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:38:40 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
When it comes to becoming a better teacher what I do is to help out other instructors in my area.  Since I am a rifle instructor there always seems to be a need to help out with the scouts.

There's also Appleseed.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Kevin,

The first question is what type of teacher and presenter you are:

If you have the capability to relay information well your main focus should lean to expanding your knowledge.  This can be easily split between reading, viewing (tv and dvd's), and attending classes where you get feedback from others;

If you struggle with relating to others and conveying thoughts in a way they can grasp and apply you should take more instructor level classes.  I know several instructors who have gone through Rob Pincus' instructor courses and grown through them.  However, you do not need to spend your big bucks on instructor level courses from those who can teach you practical.  Some of the best teacher training I received came from becoming an instructor and instructor/trainer for the American Heart Association and American Red Cross.  These classes are geared for the volunteer level of both instructor and student, so they are affordable, and they help you to learn how to communicate with a broad base of people who may or may not be required to attend the class.

Regardless of where you are at, I have found that the more I attend other instructor's classes the more I learn in both teaching methods and practical knowledge.  (Do you hear that Iowa Boy?  I'm still coming!)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
I left one item out:

Invite other instructors to your classes.  Some of the best feedback I get is from other speakers and instructors who sit in on my presentations and classes.  When you are at a convention or expo, sit in on presentations by others and see how they conduct themselves.  When it is your turn to speak or present, ask some of them to hang around and critique your style and methods.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

GEvens

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
You might want to consider taking Tom Givens' Instructor Development Course.  Since closing his Range Master facility in Memphis, TN earlier this year, Tom has been travelling around the country offering his various classes.  His Instructor Development Course is a tough one and you might want to take some other advanced handgun courses before tackling it as you will do a lot of shooting yourself to pass the practical qualification test--plan on 1,000 rounds over the 3 days of training.  Not everyone that takes the class ends up getting certified.  You'll also have to prepare a lesson plan, give a lecture, and have to pass a "closed book" written exam.  While you are not shooting on the range, you will be observing other students to see if they are making any errors.  Tom is recognized as one of the top firearms instructors in the country and his Instructor Development Course is one of those certification programs that advanced instructors seek.

Tom Givens

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:14:41 PM »
The October edition our newsletter has been posted at http://www.rangemaster.com/wp-conten...Newsletter.pdf .

This contains a review of our instructor course by a well known trainer who attended as a student. I hope this helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk