Author Topic: Did it. Mossberg MVP  (Read 9199 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Did it. Mossberg MVP
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Okay, I'm selling off the smorgasbord of things I have in the safe and consolidating so basically I have only two rifle calibers  (5.56 and .308).   So I sold off all the bolt actions (except for the Nagant which I'm going to sporterize) and I needed a .30 cal rifle.

I know I said the MVP was sort of funky in the bolt design, but the cheap M14/M1A magazines finally pushed me over the edge.    I topped it with a Nikon 2-7x.

Impressions.  Looks and handles great.  Just perfect.   I'm not sold on the "scout" scope placement.   I like mine more traditional.   And I picked up 6 PMag mags for $12/ea at a recent gun show.  (I didn't realize they came with covers.  Obviously first ones I've bought.  very cool.)

Haven't had it out to an outdoor range yet, but sighted it in at 25yds indoors.  Once sighted in I put 5 shots into 1" easily.  Probably 2MOA is what it'll be outside.    My only nit is that the action is rough to operate.  Not silky smooth like my Tikaa, or Ruger M77 or even the '95 Mauser.     You have to very definitive when operating it.   That's the recommended way to handle all bolt actions, but I was so spoiled with my others.   Other than that it operates just fine, extracts, ejects and feeds without a problem.  The iron sights with the front fiber optic are pretty neat.  When I get the chance I'll replace the rings with see through ones.

The Nikon Monarch Scope is very clear and has just the right eye relief for this set up.   I got the BDC (bullet drop comp) but I find the reticle a little thin.   It's  a 2nd focal plane reticle so the BDC changes as the power changes.       Yes it's nice to have the 2-7x power for different situations, but I may, down the road go with a 6x fixed.   Wish Nikon would bring them back.  It's what I have on the FNAR and I like it very much.  BTB, the lens covers come with this model Nikon.  Nice touch.  In case you haven't played with the Monarch line, the power adjustment is a ring in front of the objective, so the objective (and it's cover) do not turn, unlike on other scopes.

All in all it fills my niche for a bolt action that I can take hunting and yet is small and handy.   I know regs in certain places limit mag capacity when hunting so I'll probably modify the stock mag to only hold 3 rounds to be on the safe side.

For ~$540 it's a good buy to fill that .308 hunting/scout slot in the safe, despite the funky bolt face.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

BAC

Re: Did it. Mossberg MVP
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Too bad Mossberg doesn't believe in left-handed people.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
Alf... you have a good scope, don't screw with see through rings

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Thank you, Les.   I probably won't change it out.   It's fits perfectly as is on this gun.

Will work for ammo

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »
Nice looking set up Alf.  Did u check out the rifle/scope combos that Mossberg offers?  Am wondering how good they are together.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:00:15 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 04:44:19 AM »
The store didn't have one in stock and I doubt it would be one I'd want anyway.   The reviews say it's a Leapers.  It's not that I'm a snob, but I've had my share of "value priced" scopes and have decided to stick with the better lines.   Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite and Leupold FX/VX.   There are other top end models by other manufacturers, I just drew the line with those three.  S&B and Swarovski are way out of my league.
Will work for ammo

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:32:25 AM »
Cool. Interesting gun.
What I want to know is why you didn't tell us you were selling off bolt guns. Might have been worth a trip to look.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
Alf... you have a good scope, don't screw with see through rings

+100
Nothing says "I don't care about my cheek weld" like a see-thru mount.
Hunters will use the optic until it breaks. Then it will either be replaced or, if you're hunting in BFE, removed and the irons will be used.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
+100
Nothing says "I don't care about my cheek weld" like a see-thru mount.

Yeah, easy enough to remove the mounts if the scope fails.    These low mounts with this scope, just fit.  Notice the objective is lower than the rail.   Besides if somebody or something gets too close, then it's Smith and Wesson time anyway.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:22:47 PM »
Cool. Interesting gun.
What I want to know is why you didn't tell us you were selling off bolt guns. Might have been worth a trip to look.

Jay, I'm sorry it was easier to just push them locally.   I doubt if any of you really want these.

The first one was by accident, a CZ .17HM2.  Struck up a conversation with a stranger (well he was looking for reloading powder so we had a connection right off the bat) at Cabela's grand opening.  He mentions,without prompting, how he's a member of a group that has an HM2 competition every month. (BINGO)   We met back at Cabela's the next week and he bought the gun and my stash of 1,000 rounds of ammo.  (Actually, he bought my stash of that very--y-y-yy rare ammo and I gave him the gun.  I wouldn't want the IRS to know I got a 10x return on the ammo.)

The centerfire bolt actions were eclectic.  A Ruger M77 and a 1895 Mauser in 7x57 and a Tikka in .338 Fed which went to a local gun store who happened to have customers looking for those calibers.  The IBM M1 Carbine went to a collector.  Made money on it. 

Now I still have a MosinNagant, but I'm in the process of sporterizing it.  Cut the long-g-g-g-g fore end off the stock and have cut the barrel back to 18".    Lost the trigger drift pin in the process, duh.  They're both just rough cut right now, but I'll take a picture and post the progress.  Trying to decide how short to make the stock.  I may remove an inch off the butt, the put a slip-on recoil pad on it.  Lookin' like a pretty handy rifle already.

This is all part of a bigger, but ever changing scheme of mine.   First I was going to have all the popular calibers for doomsday.  You know, .223, 30-06, .308, 30/30, 270, etc.   Then I got hooked on 7x57 for a brief period.  Then I was going to have all the bullet sizes, but in .308 case (.243, 260, 7-08, .308, .338).  Now as I'm coming to grips with my mortality, I've decide all I need is .223 and .308.  (well I'm keeping the old Montgomery Wards 30/30 and the Mosin.)   I had fun with the other guns, but I'm working on a trim and useful collection.   Ones that I'll shoot more often than not.  No more safe queens.  Retirement's around the corner and I want to be in a position that all my money goes towards ammo from that point forward.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk