Author Topic: Mosin-Nagant Project  (Read 26878 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Mosin-Nagant Project
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks, Gelka.   It's an amateur job.    The purpose was to take a $100 surplus rifle and make it more usable for everyday.     Of course, with even the very small portion of Scottish (Russel) in my blood, I tried to do it as, uh, inexpensively as possible.    It is an emergency loaner, a throwaway, a SHTF or EOTW extra/spare.

I haven't looked at the calendar, but I'm hoping this coming Friday will allow me to go to the outside range.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
With Obama's ban on Russian imports how long will 7.62X 54 BE cheap ?

Probably for a long time - there are lots of other countries with huge stocks to sell off.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »
So last Friday was .308 day at the range.  And the Mosin was there.

First, because of the shortened sight radius the adjustable rear sight is off, of course.  To shoot at 100yds I had to set it for 400yds.  No big deal.   Was expected.   The guys at the range were enamored by such an ugly gun.  Of course one guy was weepy eyed over me cutting up a piece of history.  ;)

I kept all my shots inside a 12"x18" target but they were spread around.  Main reason was the sight picture was just not coming together for me.  I think it would have held inside 6" if my eyes were better or with different sights.    On my next .308 day, I'll see what I can do about either of these.  Maybe a temporary mount for a scope or something.

All in all though, it fits the bill for a throw down, emergency, cheap rifle.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 06:05:44 AM »
Cool, glad to hear it.
But don't call it "ugly" .
Its styling was the forerunner of the "Art Deco" styling  seen in such classics as the Walther PPK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk