Author Topic: Dinner Tonight  (Read 10411 times)

Timothy

Dinner Tonight
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
Took and 8-10 oz piece of Whitetail backstrap marinated in a rub of olive oil and a host of spices, a quick pan sear and roasted @ 425 for 10-13 minutes until barely 125° (medium rare).  Let rest for five or so...

Coupled that with a toss salad and roasted red potatos with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Damn fine vittles....

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
Re: Dinner Tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
It sounds good. All I had was mini tacos.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »
Mine was harvested on November 11 and fresh but if you don't hunt or can't find the time, visit Blackwing.com.  They have venison, ostrich, elk, boar, etc.. mail order and it's quite good!  Can get pricey but it's not something you're eating every day.

https://www.blackwing.com/product_shop.php?pcnm=venison

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »
I hate you guys.  its been 4 years since I've been able to go hunting.  and I have some of the best elk hunting less than an hour away from me.   :(
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Timothy

Dinner Tonight
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
I didn't bag this deer.  My SIL has two bucks in the freezer this season!  I get all the pleasure of eating the venison without all the BS of killing, cleaning and butchering!

After all he is sleeping with my only daughter!!!!!!!

;)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:01:35 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Venison chili on the stove now!  :)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
The last few years have been low years for deer hunting. We lost hunting rights (due to land being sold by a neighbor) on 3/4 of the acreage we used to hunt. If it had not been for our younger son being in a hunting club we would've missed out on venison. Fortunately, he bagged a couple for us.

We have a small amount of huntable land on one corner of the property, and it has taken some tedious work by our son to get the deer to come into the area. It has paid off, though..... The wife has taken three this year so far....including an 8-point. Me, well....nothing yet.
We mostly have ours ground. We have a processor that does a great job.....he adds beef fat and it makes the best spaghetti I've ever had, using our home-grown and canned sauce.  :D

Last year we had an entire deer processed into jerky.....good stuff.

We have one on ice (bleeding it) right now. Some time this week (between cooking 70 pounds of lamb for the ag department at school) I plan to smoke a ham and a shoulder..... I might cook the straps in the dutch oven with bacon, mushrooms, garlic and onions.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Timothy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »
Chili is done, dinner soon with fresh chopped onion, chedder cheese and corn bread!

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »
Had a nice buck about 10 yards away running beside the car this late afternoon getting ready to chase another younger buck from his territory!  Lots of deer in the area but not huntable land.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
Right now the big deal here is everyone who can is out in the ocean and Delaware Bay trying to catch stripers (striped bass). My wife's broker's husband caught a big old cow the other day and we ate really fresh striper two nights in a row for dinner. Fantastic.

A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me some Mako steaks...the fish had been swimming 18 hours prior...also fantastic because shark doesn't stay pristine for very long.

A great fall for free fresh fish. Sometimes it costs me a trip to the range, but hell, I like that too!
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk