Author Topic: Powder Mix-Up = BOOM!!  (Read 8745 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Powder Mix-Up = BOOM!!
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
When using powders in similar containers, be very careful.

Got this in an email....it is a thread over at The Firing Line forum, where a guy loaded Titegroup pistol powder in a rifle when he thought he was loading Varget. It disintegrated his rifle and tore his finger up pretty good too.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553905

Lucky To Be Alive
This is the hardest post to post, I know if I had read it a week ago my comment would have been "You have no business reloading"

I had everything perfect, except pouring the wrong powder in the powder measure.

I type this slowly with my left hand, embarrassed but only so possibly saving someone else a tragedy or like me a long drive to the ER and surgery to save my finger.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: Powder Mix-Up = BOOM!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
I only allow one powder on the table and it's the one I'm using at that time.  Hopefully no matter how tired (or otherwise not in full control of my faculties) I am, it might dawn on me that the Bullseye on the table shouldn't be going in .308 cartridges.

I've loaded when I was very tired, but so far the only mistake was swapping the micrometer setting for the powder load.   Ended up with 3.2 gr instead of 4.5. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Didn't confuse powders but mixed 2 different together!  It made a dandy fire starter and a costly one also!  Not as costly as a blown up firearm or body part....thank God!

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
It never hurt to review such happenings.  Seems like my mistakes in reloading come from trying to hard to save money, like putting pulled bullet powder back in the can or putting a primer in upside down, then trying to get it out to save the brass.  I now throw all this stuff a way. 

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
From what I gathered in reading, it was because the containers are very similar...both from Hogdon (I have both in my selection of powders, and can attest to this)..... apparently the guy just wasn't paying close attention to which can he opened.

Triple check.....

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:38:34 AM »

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »
Something that I do to avoid this is to have labels that I can attach to my powder measure as to what powder is in it.

I picked up a bunch of magnets about the diameter of a quarter at Hobby Lobby, with a label maker I put each name of powder on a separate magnet. Each magnet sets on top of the powder bottle until it is ready to be used, then the magnet is moved onto the rotor of the powder measure.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
I store pistol powder and rifle powder in separate places.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:19:46 PM »
Triple check.....

Yep.
Once I have the cases in the trays, primers on the table, dies in the press, powder on the table, scale in place, bullets next to the press, reloading manual opened to the right page......then STOP!
Are they the right cases?
The right primers?
The right powder?
You get the idea...then check it again against the manual to MAKE SURE.

Shootthegunsofhistory (which is really friggin hard to type 'cause I want to put a space in between each word  ;) ) uses magnets. I use Post-it notes. I like the magnet idea though, most times I have to tape the note so it doesn't get knocked off the powder measure.

The only thing worse than realizing a mistake and pulling a bunch of bullets is not realizing it...

You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »

Shootthegunsofhistory (which is really friggin hard to type 'cause I want to put a space in between each word  ;) ) uses magnets. I use Post-it notes. I like the magnet idea though, most times I have to tape the note so it doesn't get knocked off the powder measure.

The only thing worse than realizing a mistake and pulling a bunch of bullets is not realizing it...

You can put spaces where needed, some forums I run out of room for the name.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 10:16:33 PM »
Cool idea.  Thanks for the picture
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk