Author Topic: Not even 'tactical' in 1936!  (Read 8065 times)

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Not even 'tactical' in 1936!
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
when it was made in Australia. Presently residing chez moi whilst the owner figures out how much he wants for it ??? :

1936 SMLE Lithgow 1936.
Nice condition, matching numbers:

of course some drongo had to paint all over it!

optimistic rear sight:

there's a Jon Jovino import mark there somewhere
Best Wishes, Mike.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Not even 'tactical' in 1936!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
somewhere in my pile of accumulated gun stuff I have a magazine for a "smelly".303" with ammo, have no clue where I got it or what I'll ever do with it.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
it does accumulate...I have a bayonet (but no scabbard) that fits this old dog.
Best Wishes, Mike.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:07:17 AM »
Very nice.  Of course that was major 'tactical' in 1936.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
Bic, I don't know if you are writing "tongue in cheek", or if you really don't know a lot about Lee Enfields so I will throw out a couple comments on your post.
1st off, of course it was sufficiently tactical to stay in service from the 1890's (Second Boer war) until the 1950's (Post WWII) in England and much later in Dominion countries, in Afghanistan they were used well into the 1980's being the primary rifle used against the Russians until we started supplying large quantities of AK's to supplement those captured.
It was SO tactical that during the WWI battle of Mons, Germans thought they had run into British troops equipped with large numbers of machine guns rather than the rifles they were actually using. (That actually says more for the training of the "Old Contemptibles " I suppose )
2nd, The number painted on the side is of course a "rack number", if you look it over carefully there may be a unit designation stamped some where. I don't recall where the British stamped them, or if all units did so, but I do know that it was a common practice with the colonial Indian Army.
3rd, the sight is not all that optimistic when you remember that it was common to practice "volley firing" where a whole company or platoon would set their sights to a certain elevation and fire at a specific mark that a single shooter would never attempt, and the .303 British, being comparable to the 30-06 or 7.62X 54 was quite capable of doing damage at that range.
Oh, and #4, While the magazine is indeed "detachable", it was not intended as we use them today. The magazine was intended to remain in the rifle being reloaded through the action and only intended to be removed to make cleaning easier.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:27:14 AM »

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:55:04 AM »
somewhere in my pile of accumulated gun stuff I have a magazine for a "smelly".303" with ammo, have no clue where I got it or what I'll ever do with it.

If you decide it needs a new home, I would be interested, I have a No1 Mk III from 1918

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
If you decide it needs a new home, I would be interested, I have a No1 Mk III from 1918

Didn't those have flip up "volley sight" mounted on the receiver ?

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
I have an Ishapore MkII in .308.  Cool rifles, the SMLE.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
Didn't those have flip up "volley sight" mounted on the receiver ?

Mine didn't, it had gone thru overhaul at one point in it's life, the magazine cut off was removed and it had a later model rear sight.
I picked up a drill rifle for parts and swapped out the sight

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:06:33 AM »
Shoot the guns of history, I've looked over you FaceBook page, you've got some really cool stuff on there, I would recommend it to any one here who does FB.
You wouldn't happen to have a Lee Metford around would you ?
It was the predecessor of the Enfield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk