Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33291 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
The Next Build
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:25:22 PM »
I really, really, really, like my 12" AR.  Didn't think I'd take a shining to an AR pistol, but I've become possessed.  So on to the next build.

I have a purpose.  No more depending on my puny little G17 when I'm upstairs.  I've seen all the TV shows and read all the articles about .223 being a superb, in-home self-defense round.   Time to step up the game.

10.5" one this time.  Everything else pretty much tricked out like Pepe, My Little Mule, my bug out gun.  Big difference will be sights as this is more for close quarters shooting.   There's another gun show coming up Saturday, I've made my comparison shopping list.  So I'm ready to see what I can get at a bargain.   I've built 3 lowers from scratch but never an upper so this will be my first upper from scratch.  Part of the fun.   I don't have the funds to get everything this month, so I'll be concentrating on the upper.  Here's my price comparison list. 

Stoner 10.5 barrel  $120
Midwest Industries for end  $160
Flash Hider  $10
Gas Block $35
Gas Tube $20
Yankee Hill Upper $100
Upper Parts $20

These are comparison prices, I'm not necessarily going to buy these actual makes/models.   These prices are before shipping from MidwasUSA.   If I can get some better prices and get the total upper price below $350 that would be great.

But while I wait, sights.  Sort of begs for red dot reflex or laser and since this is home defense, not a SHTF-EOTWAWKI, it's al right to have some electronics.  I like the Burris Fastfire on my .22lr pistols, but there is a small problem.  They are controlled by ambient light and don't work in dim situations.  So I'm open to suggestions.   Not over the roof, price-wise.  <$200?  Don't want extra wires, switches and sensors.   Must be sturdy.  Other than elevation-windage, no fancy reticles or other things that can go wrong.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Just hope if you ever have to use it in a self defense situation, you've got time to put ear plugs in!

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:33:09 PM »
Alf... I built my 10.3" Mk18 from the ground up to be shoulder fired, later finding the KAK buffer tube to be ideal in giving me nose to charging handle even before the SigBrace... since the pistol is a real LMT Mk18 upper, it has a standard front sight base and M4 hand guards....at the distances I expected it to be used at, a full float tube was not needed... I first added an early model ACOG reflex sight I had laying around to the flat top, but found that I could index with the large aperture sight on a removable carry handle as quickly as I could index the dot... YMMV... by all means get a linear compensator like a LeVang or Troy

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:22:10 AM »
Thanks, les  (sent pm before I read this post), so that explains about the sights.

I'll look at those comps. 

I've said before, I'm not sure lots of flashy-sparky-loudenboomin is bad thing when defending ones self in close quarters.  You, the defender, knows what's coming.  The aggressor, if not hit, might be more than a little intimidated by the flash and boom, and decide the wise course is to put distance between your firearm and himself.    At worst case it might cause an aggressor to hesitate just one moment too long.
Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
the linear comps are vented forward, pushing the shock wave at the bad guy... without side slots, there is a tendency for the supersonic shock wave to re-ignite the volatile gases and give you a pretty good muzzle flash with the linear comps.... I shot one round with partially inserted ear plugs with both the standard KAC flash hider and the LeVang... noticeable drop in discomfort with the LeVang.. a Troy was similar

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:23:29 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
I like the LaVang's description.  The idea of pushing everything downrange certainly is appealing in a closed situation (and it's only $35).

The VLTOR looks interesting as well, in the modestly priced comps.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
So half (maybe most) of the fun is researching and planing what to buy and how to configure  (just kidding, most of the fun is in shooting the darn thing).

Sights.  I'm beginning to think that just like in video equipment, when you put the word "pro" in front it triples the price, that with sights if you put the letters AR in front the price jumps skywards.

Fixed sights.  Don't need pop up, flip up, or offset mount.   Plain fixed sights but with a very large rear ghost ring or V notch.  Large.  This is a pistol after all.

Daniel Defense has a fixed set but again they're $135 and I'm really looking for a bigger, almost ghost ring, sized rear.  UTG Leapers has a set for $50, but again the rear apperture is still only about 0.20

I like the XS V notch for this app, but...   face it, the "Russell" in our family name, what little there is left in the family bloodline is cheap, er uh, frugal.

Maybe someone like NcStar will have a knockoff product.
Will work for ammo

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
I have one something like this. It came with the tritium front sight post I bought. You may be able to find them cheaper. This is the first one I saw. http://ar-15store.com/pgroup_descrip/280/4583/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D280%26
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
[picture added 1/5/15]

The benchmark

Stoner 10.5 barrel  $120
Midwest Industries for end  $160
Flash Hider  $10
Gas Block $35
Gas Tube $20
Yankee Hill Upper $100
Upper Parts $20

Went to the Eastman gun show today and ran into Ann and Bruce D'Angostino.  Old friends.  She was Sr. Mrs Georgia and I helped her with videos and such for her appearances.   Anyway, they run a gun show business building out ARs and selling accessories. 

Here's what I got.

Upper (made in USA) w/ dust cover and forward assist $109.
9" Free Float fore end (made in USA) with detachable rail pieces $129.
Gas block and tube $11.

So I'm slightly ahead of the game.   Sadly no 10.5" barrels, which is a bummer because I can't begin to assemble the upper without it.

Patience.  Patience.

Our local brass recycling company, The Brass Exchange, had some primers and powder for sale which I bought.  But I was good.  Just my share, a pound of TiteGroup and 1,000 Federal small pistol primers.  I know most of you aren't in a position to do business with them, but they're locally owned and operated small business that is a big supporter of the shooting sports, so if you do get the chance, please patronize them.   http://thebrassexchange.com/

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:38 PM »
Ah, ha.   Keep probing around enough.  Keep you eyes open and viola.

See All  sights.   Anybody know much about them.   This may be what I'm looking for for this SD Pistol.

https://seeallopensight.com/

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk