Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33228 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »
'm a fairly handy guy.   The USAF trusted me to disassemble and reassemble weapons systems,
sometimes without the manual even.   So how hard can it be to put together an AR upper from parts.

First you have to assemble the right parts and tools.

IMPORTANT TIP:  Buy the Barrel First.

So much hinges around the barrel.  Size of gas block, length of gas tube, size of compensator or flash hider, and more importantly the length of the fore end.   No I didn't, in case you're wondering.  And both my fore end and gas tube are too short.  Actually, the gas tube IS too short, but the fore end works fine, I'd just prefer it be longer.

Tools are important as well.   I got the barrel and fore end nut and my handy torque wrench out and said, "Huh?   How am I going to hold the upper receiver while I apply 35ft-lbs to the barrel nut?  Answer:  MORE TOOLS.  Fortunately, a Wheeler upper vise mount isn't but about $24. 

Now I have everything I can finally tighten the barrel onto the receiver.   Clamp the gas block in place and
finally mount the fore end.  Ready to go except for the flash hider and sights. You'd think for something with so few parts this would have gone quicker.

Here's the parts:  (Sorry, I cheated just a little and bought the upper with dust cover and FA.)

Assembled:

Compared to the 12"  Bug Out Pistol

Still looking for the ideal "pistol" sights and muzzle device.   At least the ideal ones without breaking the bank. Most CQB sights are rifle sights designed for close up targets.   I want pistol sights.  This is a pistol after all. As far as comps, Brownells has a really short one, but the blast goes to the side.  If it were cheaper I'd get the LaVang comp.  Pushes all the gas out forward, towards the target.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »
I found a couple other linear comps but the cheapest one was 10 bucks more than the LeVang. Another one was listed in Euros. I believe it was something like $140 but I'm having trouble finding a price again. Maybe the $35 LeVang looks better now Alf?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »
Maybe the $35 LeVang looks better now Alf?

Yeah, JF, that's actually not a bad price compared to the $100+ price for some of the others.   If I could only find it locally.   Miss Kitty says we're a little stretched credit-wise right now, but I have a few $ cash hidden away.     May be April at the rate I'm going. 

Will work for ammo

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »
if you want to add something like a BoMar/post front... think about having both on the same monoblock sight rail, and then attach the rail to the upper and forearm.... it will save you a lot of headaches... BTDT

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
Found what I want on my AR Pistol-Pistol.

http://deadringerhunting.com/product/snake-eyes/

The lexan version.   Nice big rear ring.    Now to figure how to take one of these models and mount them on a picatinny rail.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:14:26 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
Ok...if I understand the write up.

In day or low light you have the 3 dots (tritium) plus the rear ring glow continuously using ambient light.

In "no light" you have the 3 tritium dots.

No batteries, no electronics...no backup needed...

I take it lexan is one of the model options?

Ahh..I see.  no tritium for the lexan model.    I've wondered if there was a situation where there was enough ambient light to identify your target but not light up ambient light sights.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
Same idea as a ghost ring sight.
The eye automatically tries to center  the front sight in a circle .

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:35 AM »
It's a just big ghost ring sight for pistols.   That's all.  The Lexan version is ~$80.

I don't know where Les got the rail he pictured.   I see a similar model at MUSA and Brownells, but it doesn't have a dove tail for the front sight.   There's got to some way (cheap and off the shelf) to adapt a dovetail to a picatinny rail.    I can always take some cheap scope mounts to a machinist and have him cut them down and mill a dovetail.

Will work for ammo

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
It's a just big ghost ring sight for pistols.   That's all.  The Lexan version is ~$80.

I don't know where Les got the rail he pictured.   I see a similar model at MUSA and Brownells, but it doesn't have a dove tail for the front sight.   There's got to some way (cheap and off the shelf) to adapt a dovetail to a picatinny rail.    I can always take some cheap scope mounts to a machinist and have him cut them down and mill a dovetail.

Probably the route I'd go if I didn't have the equipment to do it myself.

I'd order an aluminum riser from somewhere like Amazon and see if a machinist could cut one of the pic slots into a dovetail.

If'n I had a mill, I'd do it for you.

Heck, being aluminum, if the dovetail is a 60 degree cut, you could do it with a three-sided file.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 05:09:48 PM »
Some parts showed up this weekend.    Well, I went to the large Atlanta gun show and this is what a came away with, along with 8 pounds of TiteGroup for <$28/lb!

Nothing exciting, but I got fair prices.  $50 for the Anderson lower, $40 for the buffer tube assembly and $99 for the BCG.    I don't have enough spare parts to put it together but I should have that fixed next week.

The muzzle brake is just a run of the mill A-2 ($10) until my LeVang Comps arrive.  I ordered two, one for this pistol and one for my 10/22 (maybe I'll also try it on my 22/45)

Slowly but surely.   Later this spring when I have more money, I may go to a 7.5 barrel to make this even shorter and handier. 

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk