Author Topic: The Next Build  (Read 33231 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: The Next Build
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »
Looky.  Looky.

$26ea delivered.  They're not DPMS, but I think they'll do the trick.

Here's how it looks on my 22/45.

Now as some of you may have noticed.  They say ".22lr Only"   HERE HOLD MY BEER.  WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?  ;D

Actually, I already did.  Put 5 test rounds down range and nothing happened.     I've taken it off and inspected it and it seemed fine.   BOY is there a lot of muzzle flash.  Much more than the 12" with the A2 brake.   Sometime this week I'm going to do a comparison between the 2 length barrels and between the two brakes.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »
Alf, I have to admit it. I sure as hell wish I had the patience to build something like that. Mine was all used up after over 4 decades as a machinist. Perhaps after I'm retired a while, some of it will come back to me. I have all I can do to change out a stock, or mount a scope without cussing.  ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
Looky.  Looky.

$26ea delivered.  They're not DPMS, but I think they'll do the trick.

Here's how it looks on my 22/45.

Now as some of you may have noticed. They say ".22lr Only"   HERE HOLD MY BEER.  WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?  ;D

Actually, I already did.  Put 5 test rounds down range and nothing happened.     I've taken it off and inspected it and it seemed fine.   BOY is there a lot of muzzle flash.  Much more than the 12" with the A2 brake.   Sometime this week I'm going to do a comparison between the 2 length barrels and between the two brakes.

Alf, isn't the 22/45 a .22 ?   ???

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »

Alf, isn't the 22/45 a .22 ?   ???

Took me a while to figure out what you were asking.

Yes, Tom, but I was testing these on an AR-15 that I'm building.   The picture was just to show what they looked like on the 22/45.   Sorry for the confusion.    I don't know if  Pike's is concerned these brakes won't hold up under stress of 5.56, or whether it's a design license issue with DPMS, or they just want to be known as a .22lr aftermarket supplier.

Wouldn't that be some small 5.56 package though if you could get it to work on a 22/45 frame?   Oh Wait.   FN did, except they have their own ammo... 5.7.   

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
;D

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:11:00 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
An aluminum brake may not hold up on an AR in the long run. Keep us posted.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
It may also mean the diameter.
If you put it on a .270 don't be surprised if it gets torn off first shot.  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 08:31:10 AM »
An update on what's happening, but first let me address the Levang comp quesiton.

It may also mean the diameter.
If you put it on a .270 don't be surprised if it gets torn off first shot.  ;D

Yeah, but the we're talking about a comp made for .22lr and putting it on a .223.   I checked before I did this and there's plenty of clearance, so dimensional-wise it fits an 5.56.  Put 40 more 5.56 rounds through it this weekend with no problem... other than it got hot.   Oh and yes sir, wow, yousers, that Levang on a 10" barrel gives of a really great flash strobe effect.  Fireworks.  Light up the room.   I'll take a video next time. 

BUT NOW BACK TO OUR FEATURE SUBJECT:

Three weeks ago, having all the parts, I took this new 10" AR to the range.  Problem:  Bolt doesn't go back far enough to strip a new round from the magazine.  It ejects the spent round and cocks the hammer, but fails to go back far enough by a fraction of an inch.

So two weeks ago I took my 12" AR to the range, along with the 10" and exchanged parts.  The offending part was the buffer spring.   Most on-line places don't give you any details other than "Pistol", "Cabine", or "Rifle".  They don't give length, or turns, or even a measurement of force when compressed.   SO.  Since they are less than $5ea I order 4 different ones.

THIS WEEK:  Starting to get impatient, my springs not having arrived, so "Have Pliers Will Travel".   Went to the range and started snipping off part of the spring.   YES, I know there are a lot of dynamics involved here, but it's the only "adjustment" I could affect.   And I'm getting impatient, because due to work & personal issues, I won't be able to get to the range for another two weeks.

AN EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:   Sort of like loading up squibs just to see what they would do.   I got close to the sweet spot with the spring.  It would cycle 2 out of 3 times.  But then I took off just a bit too much.    I didn't damage the buffer tube, the buffer or the bolt, but, uh, let's say the operation took a swing in the other direction and the disconnecter didn't have the opportunity to, uh, disconnect.

So, I'm putting it away for the time being and will await the replacement springs.   At the last small gun show, nobody was selling springs separate.   What I really want is the stainless spring that came with the buffer tube on my 12" AR, but the retailer isn't selling springs separate.

Slowly but surely.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
    ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
"the disconnecter didn't have the opportunity to, uh, disconnect." Sounds exciting.  ;D

P.S. Wikipedia lists the diameter of a .22LR bullet as 0.223" - 0.2255". I thought it was .224. Whatever it actually is a .223/5.56mm bullet has no problem fitting through a .22LR comp as Alf proved. They're the same diameter give or take a thousandth of an inch or so.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk