Author Topic: Kitty Kitty Bang Bang!  (Read 28780 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kitty Kitty Bang Bang!
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Ob-Wan Kenobi
Star Wars — Episode Whatever

I'm feeling relatively Sithish today, probably due to a lingering need to go shoot something. I considered going to a revolver match this AM with machinegun guru Alan Samuel, but it would have involved getting up before 9AM and driving roughly 1000 miles across the prairie, probably causing the radio in the Boxcar to automatically tune to "A Prairie Home Companion," which I actively despise. I'm sure host Garrison Keillor must at some point have had more of a brain than Scarecrow, but apparently it dried up to dust and blew away in some Dustbowl duststorm. I inadvertantly read one of his syndicated columns, and it was like watching a chicken scratching out interpretations of Robert Frost poetry.

I've got the paperwork started for a hella-cool Tactical Solutions titanium suppressor, which I plan to use on one of the great Tac-Sol 1911 conversion units and a Mark II Ruger to be obtained in some sort of trade. and overhauled. The suppressor will, of course, be chronicles on DOWN RANGE WITH MICHAEL BANE. I'm also thinking of filing the paperwork for building a replica of an Ithaca Auto & Burglar, which I believe to be one of the Five Coolest Guns Ever Made. Since I'd probably be lynched for taking a hacksaw to the barrels of a vintage Ithaca double, I'm looking at some of the el-cheapo "scratch and dent" Spanish 20 gauge doubles at Century Arms. Paperwork wise, it means filing an ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and register a Firearm), all the other paperwork associated with such — fingerprint cards, photos, etc. — and ponying up the $200 tax.

That actually looks easier than finding a stockmaker to duplicate the unique A&B grip. I could go with a rounded buttstock, but I'd love to match teh original if I could. This will be another DOWN RANGE project.

BTW, here's what I've got in the works for DOWN RANGE right now:

• BUTT UGLY GUNS...the Cz-52
    • Salvaging a MINI-14 and runing it against the new MINI Target Model.
    • Some AR-15 modifications you can do at home, including the new Timney drop-in trigger.
    • Shooting the S&W M&P .45
    • What can you REALLY do with a Taurus .410 pistol?

Lemme know what other kinds of videos you're looking for and I'll see what I can get in the works.

I'm going to try and get more than 10 feet away from my computer today, althought I do have to do a re-edit the SIGARMS 556 stuff from SHOT...I waqnt to get the re-edit up on DOWN RANGE by the end of this week. I also need to give my Sweetie anti-lion lessons in the wake of this story from California:

The man's wife is being credited for saving the his life, according to NBC11.

She said she picked up a tree limb and started to beat the animal.
    During the attack, her husband also told her to grab his pen, but it broke off when she stabbed the mountain lion so she said she went back to using the tree limb again.

I roiginally thought this was some bizarre homage to the film Say Anything, where Ione Skye gives John Cusack a pen and says, "Write me." Since I never carry a pen when I'm hiking, I suggested my Sweetie just point the .44 at the lion's hips and squeeeeezzzzzzeeeee the trigger. The lion will let go of my head to ponder its former hip joints...I suggested my Swetie then point the .44 and the biggest part of the cat she can see, then keep pulling the trigger until the Smith runs out of bullets. Ought to work better than a big stick!!!

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Hyunchback

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Butt Ugly Guns
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:17 PM »
I'll have to second that nomination for Butt Ugly Guns. The CZ-52 has the status of being the incredibly ugly step-sister to the much more attractive CZ-75 (and variants). You look at them side-by-side and you can't believe they are related.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: Kitty Kitty Bang Bang!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »
2nd on the CZ 52...but man that CZ 75B....what a gun!

I just wish they had a 75 in 10MM...since the Bren 10 was a take-off from the 75 it would be really cool for CZ to celebrate the 25th anniversary of 10MM with an upgraded 75B.  The only thing that would make that better would be to have Col. Cooper around to see it.

Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

CabinJohn

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »
Your picture of the Ithaca Auto & Burglar reminds me of an experience I had - or more accurately - witnessed, many, many years ago in a place far, far away.  (Hows that for keeping the Star Wars theme?).

A friend of mine had “acquired” a cut down 20 gauge double barrel shotgun that looked very similar to the Ithaca pictured, and wanted to test fire it.  But because it had been derived from a standard field gun, the pistol grip stock more closely resembled an old flintlock pistol rather than the Ithaca Auto & Burglar pictured.

He loaded two rounds, with the gun at about waist level he held the pistol grip in his right hand and - anticipating a stiff recoil - put his left hand over the top of the barrels, and fired.  The resulting recoil drove the break open lever back into the web of his hand between the thumb and forefinger and actually drew blood.

After nursing his hand for several minutes, he decided to try firing the second round.  By now, being a little more experienced and thinking that he had the solution to the recoil problem, he used the same two handed grip but placed his right hand on his thigh about where his right front pants pocket would be, and fired.  

The resulting testicular pain had him doubled over and unable to walk upright for another several minutes.

If you are going to try reproducing the Ithaca Auto & Burglar, you have good reason to want to follow their stock example as closely as possible.

Hyunchback

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
2nd on the CZ 52...but man that CZ 75B....what a gun!

I just wish they had a 75 in 10MM...since the Bren 10 was a take-off from the 75 it would be really cool for CZ to celebrate the 25th anniversary of 10MM with an upgraded 75B.  The only thing that would make that better would be to have Col. Cooper around to see it.

Ken

I don't know that we'll ever see a 10mm CZ. You can get close, though.

The Tanfoglio line, sold in the US by EAA as the Witness series includes both full and compact 10mm pistols. The all steel versions are close copies to the ergonomics of the CZ 75 family.

Internally there is some differences.

I have a Witness Stock in .40 S&W that has the sweetest trigger I own (work done by a specialized gunsmith prior to my buying the pistol).

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:36:11 AM »

Walter45Auto

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
i can't wait to see the Taurus .410 and M&P 45 ones! Can't wait for the next Concealed Carry Demystified, either. Love your site here Mike!
"If You seek to do me harm, I don't care about your past." - Michael Bane

CAMO

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:02:15 PM »
Ugliest gun= High Point pistol.
WE HAVE A WINNER.
CAMO

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
Ugliest gun= High Point pistol.
WE HAVE A WINNER.
CAMO

I take umbrage with that remark.  I carry a Hi-Point 9-C compact 9mm every day.  I have shot over 2k through it.  Never failed and I can keep em in the 10 ring at ten yards.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk