Author Topic: 30-06 Sprig. Winchester Model 70 question.  (Read 15297 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
30-06 Sprig. Winchester Model 70 question.
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
I have a chance to look at a 30 year old Model 70. Friend of a friend type deal. I read in American Rifleman ( got it yesterday,. 8)), an interesting new book by Maj. John R. Plaster, titled "The History Of Sniping and Sharpshooting", I of course am interested the the latter ;D. Planning on ordering the book.

Hunting isn't my thing, but I enjoy having "good rifles." Even though I went to the "darkside" years ago, I love a nice bolt.

"These are my true riches. A man's worth is counted in the number of his rifles."
- Mulay Achmed Mohammed Raisuli the Magnificent(Sean Connery), The Wind and the Lion, John Milius(Warner Brothers, 1975) 8)

I have a bolt action 1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65x53. It's no joke and will reach out and "touch a target!".
I also have Winchester lever actions, but no Win. bolt actions.

What should I look for, outside the obvious,? Bolt tension? The Mauser is still "cycle it like you mean it".  Should it be "stiff" but smooth, or should it be like "butter" all the way around?

What are the rifling specs? 1:7, 1:12?

Trigger feel,,? Anything to look for?

Tactical enough?

This was also in the article, thought it was "a good one", Wish I could find a Unertl 8X like the one pictured.
As always, I know the collective wisdom will put me on the path of enlightenment. ;)

Thank you,
Tom W.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

gunman42782

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: 30-06 Sprig. Winchester Model 70 question.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:14:24 AM »
30 year old would put it at around 1978.  Most Winchester fans love the pre-64 model 70s for their controlled-round feed.  In 1964, Winchester went to a push feel action and cheaper looking checkering on their stocks, as as well as other cost cutting operations.  All that being said, one of the first guns I ever owned was a post-64 Winchester Model 70 30/06 and it was a good gun.   
Life Member of the NRA

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »
If the Winchester is in .308 or .30-06, it will probably have 1:12 rifling.  Most common barrel twist for those calibers.  I had a Mod 70 Featherweight in .308 from about that period and it was pretty good.  Late 60's and early 70's models did not enjoy a good reputation due to like Gunman said cost cutting operations.  They went from USA made to Japanese made.  Like every thing else, get good one and bad ones.
DesertMarine

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:26:55 PM »
I've heard quite a bit of the "1964" versions. What changed? What made that year so special?

Should I save for a DPMS 7.62 instead?

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
In 1964 Winchester took manfucaturing of their rifles from the USA to Japan.  They went to some stamped parts and cut costs in the making of their rifles.  Result was that quality went down and so did reliability.  In the 70's used to hear stories of failures in Mod 70s especially in the African hunts for dangerous animals.  In the process, rifles made prior to 1964, Pre-64s were prized and their value went up. 

In the Mod 70s, they went from a controlled feed system to a push feed system.  A lot of people prefer the controlled feed and claim it is better.  In the Mod 94, some or most of the internal parts were made from stamped rather than machined parts in the Pre-64s.  There were other changes but those are the ones that I think are most noteworthy.

For an accurate Mod 70, look at the heavy varmit rifle and the one from the Custom Shop.  I had the varmit (22-250) and a nephew the one (.308) from Custom Shop.  Both very accurate but heavy. 
DesertMarine

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:51:36 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »
I've heard quite a bit of the "1964" versions. What changed? What made that year so special?

Should I save for a DPMS 7.62 instead?

The Pre-1964 version had better control of the round as it was chambered.  If you are buying bolt over semi-auto because of accuracy of exact chambering you should go pre 64.  If you don't have a preference any model 70 would be good.

The way I shoot it wouldn't matter, but I would probably look for a pre 64 with the idealistic ideals that someday I could catch up with the gun and get everything perfect.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1071
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
They're making brand new "pre-'64 Winchesters" again. It's in the last American Rifleman.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the new Winchester 70.  Looking at reducing my rifles and going to either the new 70 or pre-64 in either 30-06 or 300 Win Mag.  Hate to give up my Sako in 270.
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk