Author Topic: DPMS Tac2/Tac 16 or Similar M4?  (Read 3801 times)

TexasAggie01

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DPMS Tac2/Tac 16 or Similar M4?
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
Howdy all. I am interested in buying an M4 with a rifle length gas system. I am aware of the two above and was curious if anyone has experience with these or other similar carbines? Namely, are they better, worse, or just another option? Thank y'all in advance.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: DPMS Tac2/Tac 16 or Similar M4?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »
I've never shot one but I read that the carbine barrel and rifle length gas system causes a lot of malfunctions.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Search enough forums and you'll find lots of opinions both ways.

Personally I suggest you first chose the barrel length you want and the type of front sight (gas block or hand guard mounted), then that's what you buy.   The gas tube length will just be what it will be.   I doubt if most of us will ever tell the difference in performance of different tube lengths.

Or do what I'm doing and build your own upper.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:10 AM »
I was told the Army specs on the 20" M16 is 100psi on the gas key with the full length gas tube, and 125psi for the 14.5" M4 with the carbine length tube....because of the short length of barrel in front of the gas port, the amount of dwell  is reduced so DPMS opened up the gas port... so don't know if this is the answer unless you are shooting open sights... I don't have personal experience... but my game gun is a 16" mid and my back up is a 16" carbine length... there is a perceptible difference, but there are options if you want to reduce recoil impulse to the minimum amount... a 4oz buffer is a good start and a good multi port brake like a Miculek...for a full length rifle stock, if you remove two of the steel weights in a rifle buffer, and replace with a piece of aluminum spacer, you get a pretty reduction of scope movement... or an H2 buffer if you shoot a collapsible stock

TexasAggie01

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies y'all. Food for thought.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:39:08 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk