Author Topic: Ruger Scout problem  (Read 10513 times)

sksmedic

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Scout problem
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
I recently purchased a new in box Ruger Scout in .308. I took it out for the first time a few days ago. From the start extraction was weak and after about 15 rounds the famous indestructible Mauser style claw extractor broke. I called Ruger and they are sending out a new extractor. Is this a common problem? Kinda leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Ruger Scout problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
The metal looks to be crystalized. I'm wondering if Ruger investment casts this part? Either way, they'll make it right. I know how all of this sucks to have happen on a new rifle.   

DaverZ

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
I've always been a big Ruger fan but now I have some reservations after sending my SR 45 back twice.It seems ok now but we'll see.Bill Ruger must be spinning like a top in his grave.I know every firearm manufacturer  has a few stinkers get out,but this was my first problem I ever had with a Ruger.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
that grain structure looks a lot like mim   I hope not.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
With that grain appearance, if it is a forged part (doubtful), the alloy and heat treatment process was way off that day.

Like mentioned above, looks to be a casting.....which is bad for this particular part. Some parts you can get away with casting, others not so much.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:25:58 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »
Pine Tree Investment Castings Inc. is Ruger, just like KW Thompson Tool and Die was T/C Arms casting Dept.

sksmedic

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
I may be selling a Ruger Scout pretty cheap really soon. I had hoped to keep this around for an all purpose SHTF gun but now I'm not sure I wanna trust my life to it.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 04:19:45 PM »
Don't sell it out of hand.
Guns are machines, machines sometimes fail.
It's the fact of life that lead to the saying "2 is one, one is none".
Might want to add a repair kit with small replaceable parts, and springs for all your guns.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
Don't sell it out of hand.
Guns are machines, machines sometimes fail.
It's the fact of life that lead to the saying "2 is one, one is none".
Might want to add a repair kit with small replaceable parts, and springs for all your guns.

+1

It is sad that we usually only hear and react to the bad.  This is the first I've heard of a Scout problem, and while I understand the concern, I wonder why we react more negatively to one issue than all the positives. 
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:02 AM »
Cuz all the positives will not cost you a deer while hunting, get you killed in an SD situation, or worst of all, get you laughed at after bragging on your new rifle at the range.  ;D
(Don't try to tell me it doesn't happen. I've been on both ends, as have most of you  ;D  )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk