Author Topic: Maybe this will have better than ho hum accuracy.  (Read 5453 times)

tombogan03884

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Maybe this will have better than ho hum accuracy.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Seems like a natural for Ruger. Easy for them to produce. Same magazines and everything else. Just a different barrel.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:24:03 PM »
Hmmmm
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
Makes more sense than a 7.62x39 - but I don't know by how much.  Other than than being a better fit for a suppressor, the 7.62x39 has it beat (ammo availability is massively better) - and the Mini-30 never really took off because an SKS is so much cheaper.  Then again, .300 Blackout may just take off because it is "cool" - but IMHO it makes a ton more sense as a 2nd upper for an AR.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »
Some time ago, we discussed the .300 Blackout about the time Savage decided to abandon their work on a rifle in that caliber. 

Thoughts were that the Blackout didn't really make sense in a standalone rifle since there were other cartridges that filled the "niche" better.  That it was a good option for the M16 because it used existing hardware to improve the load to a .30 caliber.

None of that has changed.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:46:35 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:42:48 AM »
Davidson's has these in stock. Which in itself is surprising for Ruger. It usually takes forever for them to get newly advertised product on the market. I think the gun business in general has slowed down a lot since Obama sent the entire industry into a frenzy. I'm seeing a lot of guns in stock in large numbers now, that just a couple of years ago were impossible to find. And if you did, they were priced out of this world, and didn't last long in spite of that. The industry is pretty well tapped out. As are the people.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »
How about ammo ?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
How about ammo ?

.300 Blackout ammo is stupidly overpriced for what it is. Especially when compared to standard .223 / 5.56 MM. It's the main reason I won't buy a gun in this caliber. They want as much as a buck a round for it in many places. You can buy Winchester 7.62 X 51 MM, (.308), at Cabelas for $13.99 a box of 20, for a comparison. The brass is easy, but time consuming to make from .223. If you had a small bench lathe, you could set up a collet chuck and a cut off tool on a dial indicator, and cut them off quick. But not many have access to that type of machinery.

I thought the way this round was catching on brass and ammo would have dropped in price somewhat. But that has not been the case at all. It's not a round very many can afford to shoot in any volume like .223. For what it costs I'd much rather shoot .308 for the same or cheaper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
Interesting about the .300, but I meant ammo overall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk