Author Topic: New Marlin X-7 In .223  (Read 3598 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
New Marlin X-7 In .223
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:46:42 AM »
I picked up a Marlin X-7 in .223 a few weeks ago for a song. Davidson's had them through my local dealer on sale for just $230.00, so I couldn't pass it up. After I got it home I wasn't very happy with the cheap, thermoplastic molded stock it came with. It was "functional", but that was about it.

So I picked up a Boyd's Laminated Featherweight Thumbhole for just $99.00. The fit was perfect. The barreled action just dropped right in. It really makes the whole rifle look and fit so much better. I'm thinking of picking up one for one of my Mosins. I'll keep one original. The only thing is you have to remove the front sight in order to get both of the 2 barrel bands off the barrel. I'm really tempted because Boyd's makes a hell of a nice stock for the money. You can get them in several different colors as well.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
Re: New Marlin X-7 In .223
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
very very nice.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: New Marlin X-7 In .223
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:28:55 AM »
For those like me who have purchased and installed Boyd's stocks on their guns, you might want to try this product on your stock. You won't believe the results! It really brings out a beautiful sheen and gloss to the wood, while protecting it as well. It takes a little elbow grease, but the results you will achieve are worth it. It will also protect the wood from moisture and rain, should you hunt in any type of wet weather. I have a total of 4 coats on at this point, and it just gets better with every coat. I had a can of Butcher's Wax, which is a very similar product. But after many years it went bad, (turning into basically soup).

So I went to Home Depot and purchased the Minwax product. Because this was an afterthought, I did mine after I installed the stock. But it would be better to do it before. That way you can apply it to the interior parts of the stock where the barreled action rests, protecting it as well. You could even use a car buffer with a wool bonnet, if you have access to one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-1-lbs-Paste-Finishing-Wax-785004444/100376194?keyword=minwax+paste+wax

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk