Author Topic: Stock Market and Panic  (Read 4809 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
Stock Market and Panic
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »
Hope everyone is holding tight and not panicking.  My "stock" took a slight beating, but I'm wasn't planning on selling any of it anyway.  My upcoming retirement isn't going to be funded by selling stock, but by the dividends and interest payments.  I had been moving investments towards cash dividends prior to all of this, so I'm okay.

My only regret is I don't have any substantial cash to invest today.   I did have a few hundred extra and put it in an Exchange Traded Fund which specializes in Limited Master Partnerships, gas and oil pipelines.  (CBA if you're interested)  With today's prices that money will be earning 11% on dividends from the MLP.  Of course, with falling oil prices it's risky but it's not a lot of money, and despite falling oil prices they still need to be transported.  Gas/diesel cars & trucks aren't going away any time soon.

One of the big mysteries in history is what the rich people, think Rockefeller & Kennedy, did with their cash during the great depression.   Those people sold out of the market early on but didn't put it back for some time.  Where they hid it is an unknown.  Speculation from in their mattress, to personal safes, real estate to foreign investments abound, but it's unknown exactly how they invested it during the depression.     

The reason this dip won't last long, is all the people who just sold stock now have to find some place to re-invest their money.  They'll hold it for a week but then start putting it back into the market.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stock Market and Panic
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
From the desk of the uninformed/ignorant..
With the Fed dumping so much paper into the markets, I don't see much any of it making sense, save the kinds of things you list.. Oil and gas/energy isn't going away, and perhaps real estate in the area of rental property are about all I can think of, but I haven't given it a dimes worth of thought in 6 years, I suppose..
What will people continue to need, even when they have nothing to buy it with?
(JAFO that I am.. Get what you paid for here..)  ;D
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »
If you're in it now, you waited to long. Wait it out. It will slowly come back. It may take some time, but it will. It's been due for a major correction. Look where it was just 7 years ago.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
I hope my company stock price drops a tad bit more...... then I can hedge the small loss I took from my last purchase amount.
I can buy double the shares of company stock at a much lower price and drop my overall buy-in average.... and as long as the entire market doesn't just "go away" it'll go back up sooner or later (Alcoa always does) and I can clean the mess up.

Prior to 2008, I was making nearly 10% annual ROI in my 401k.... (Alcoa always made very regular and consistent up/down market swings)......then after the current ass-in-chief took office, I've done well just to garner around 2%.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
Ann Barnhardt has a post warning about the stock market "correction", saying she began warning about it's coming 33 months ago.

http://www.barnhardt.biz/
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:11:29 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
I hope my company stock price drops a tad bit more...... then I can hedge the small loss I took from my last purchase amount.
I can buy double the shares of company stock at a much lower price and drop my overall buy-in average....

That is the smartest thing to do. Not enough do because they lack the cash and the balls to buy more after a substantial correction. The market is no different than anything else. If you run with the sheep, you'll be slaughtered every time.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:12:48 PM »
Rockefeller specifically wasn't effected by the crash of 29, their money was in oil which was on the rise  no matter what as more cars were sold, ships built, and the number of air planes sky rocketed. With the approach of war every one needed more and more oil and Rockefeller was willing to sell it.
Including to Germany all through WWII.
The Kennedy money was still in whiskey then I believe and beginning to be spread out into ,first, war industries.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
My money is in hookers and blow.

Well ok boats, guns, tools and the little women.  All horrible investments, but a lot of fun.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
All my money is tied up in debt.  ;D
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
My money is in hookers and blow.

Well ok boats, guns, tools and the little women.  All horrible investments, but a lot of fun.

Little womEn?  Since you still own boats, guns and tools, I'll assume it was a grammar error.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk