Author Topic: MagPul Magazines & Armalite AR-10  (Read 5614 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
MagPul Magazines & Armalite AR-10
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:38:09 AM »
I've been out of things for quite a while with work so I'm not up on what is going on.  There were some issues with Gen 3 MagPul mags early on....has that been worked out?  If not then I'm going to get some Gen 2 mags with the windows on them.

Also, Wideners has DH mags with MagPul followers $7...going to get some of those too.

Now, another question..or really another subject.  I picked up an Armalite AR-10 lower and upper a few weeks ago.  With work being tenuous the way it is and expenses the way they are it's going to be a slow build.  If some of you have built up AR-10's, especially Armalite, I'd like to know what parts are compatible.  I really don't know if I can, for the most part, plug in AR-15 parts like stocks, trigger groups, etc.  I know a different buffer spring is needed along with BCG, barrel, etc...but some things are interchangeable.

I'm wanting to go with a 16' barrel build on the AR-10.  I had a Rock River 24 or 26" barrel and it was too long to navigate in the woods for hogs.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

Re: MagPul Magazines & Armalite AR-10
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »
My SIL built an AR-10 from the same start.  I'm not certain but I believe he found near nothing was interchangeable with standard AR parts groups. 

I do know for certain that it cost him a boat load more to build than he'd budgeted.  He built the rifle, shot it a bit from his own loads, packed it in the safe and sold it within two years at a huge loss...

His first build I believe.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
I didn't really budget anything...I suspect it will be high $$$.  I'd hate to take a loss.  I picked up the lower and the upper for $165 so I think I'm off to a good start...maybe not.

Impulse buy. 

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
Just texted him..he's hunting in RI today since we can't in MA on Sundays.

He said he was able to use an aftermarket stock, grip, buffer tube/spring and trigger guard but the parts for the upper and lower (in .308) we all proprietary.

He also put on a high end bull barrel that probably led to his high spending issue.  Damn rifle weighed about 14 pounds I recall.  I shot one or two rounds through it myself.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »
Any more feedback on what's compatible with Armalite AR-10 uppers and lowers?

I still am holding an Armalite upper and lower with nothing to add to them.  Maybe I can buy myself a couple of parts for Christmas.  If so, I need to spend on what will fit what I have.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:28:12 AM »

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
One big question is it an A lower or a B lower? The reason I ask is an A lower will take the SR-25 pattern magazines (such as the Magpul etc..), while the B lower you need to use the Armalite magazines (modified M1A magazine). I have a B version. Trigger group parts and buffer tube are about it from what I remember. I am not sure about the Carrier or Bolt.

Mine is an older, during the ban, 10B A2 (fixed carry handle with sights). The heavy barrel sure makes it a heavy rifle. I have used mine in 3Gun and for hunting.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
Thanks I will have to check.  I picked it up a year ago at USSA directly from Armalite for cheap so that would cause me to think it's new.

How do you distinguish between A or B?

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:06:01 AM »
I would assume it would be stamped on the lower. I have never seen an A one (they started making them a few years ago).  They still make both I believe.  The B version you will notice the magwell has a slight forward cant to it. That was there so the M1A magazines would have a straight feed like an AR-15 would do (or the SR-25 would do). There may be other differences, I just do not know what they are. I suppose you could call Armalite and find out from your serial.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
Thanks.  I'll check it out....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk