Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21205 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »
Pascal was my favorite language, for the beauty of the code written in it, rather than it's productivity...rare exits to C and you could do anything...and still be beautiful   :D :D

Since I programmed down to the machine level, for applications/utilities, I frequently used COBOl for the shell using nested PERFORM structures with Assembler calls to do the actual "work".     Use to drive everybody crazy. 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

BAC

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
Photography is my hobby.  Has been since the mid '80s.  I've also worked as a processor/printer, customer service rep., retail salesperson, camera store owner, technical trainer for Kodak, technical sales representative for a camera company.  One job I've never worked in that industry is as a photographer.  I still love taking pictures, especially of my 300 kids during marching band season (the wife and I are chaperones).

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
Photography is my hobby.  Has been since the mid '80s.  I've also worked as a processor/printer, customer service rep., retail salesperson, camera store owner, technical trainer for Kodak, technical sales representative for a camera company.  One job I've never worked in that industry is as a photographer.  I still love taking pictures, especially of my 300 kids during marching band season (the wife and I are chaperones).

So if YOU screw up the picture it's a little more complicated than having your thumb over the lens ?  ;D

uncle jed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:59 PM »
Well, I guess reloading goes with out saying, but I enjoy making my own brew (and drinking it), working on and off-roading with my Jeep...

BAC

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
So if YOU screw up the picture it's a little more complicated than having your thumb over the lens ?  ;D

Pretty much.  I've become the de facto photographer for the marching band.  We are even planning on taking some of my daughter's friends (and a parent or two) out to take pictures so I can show them some things.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:34:07 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 06:01:58 AM »
I doubt it will help but I ave a 3 item mantra, Lens cover, lens cover , lens cover .  ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 02:49:28 PM »
I doubt it will help but I ave a 3 item mantra, Lens cover, lens cover , lens cover .  ;D
for me its battery, battery, battery.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »
I don't know how related some of these are.  Outside of things like hunting, reloading and gunsmithing.

Ham radio, W4ADS, extra class. (I passed Extra, just to get into the vanity call sign pool early.  Not very noble reason I suppose.)   Not active much even on VHF.  Have 25' tower, but no HF antenna.  Really want a StepIR, but can't afford it. 
<snip>

Alf.  Did you get an antenna yet?  I put up a full wave 20 meter loop...about 74' and mostly circular.  It's 4-5 feet off the ground and wound around tree branches.  A much better antenna than the dipoles I've had.  I feed it in the side for vertical polarity so it doesn't have to be very far off the ground and that also makes for a low angle of radiation (DX).  I've tuned it to 160M, 80M, 40M, 20M, 17M (well..I get a little RF back in the shack on that one) and 10M so far. 

Plus...I drop in noise level a couple of S units and...here's a big deal....it works well on the sides unlike a dipole.  There is hardly any null to the side.  More gain all around than a dipole.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
for me its battery, battery, battery.

I got my digital camera out Friday to take a picture and it took me about a minute to figure out where the on/off button was and that the batteries were dead. It takes 2 AAs which I have plenty of so I'm all set.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
among the old timers that have stayed in the shooting sports in my circle... a background in high performance engines... drag or sports car racing, motorcycle flat track or drag, and in later years cruising, or go fast boats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk