Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21004 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »
No real country will use bombs in general, or nukes in particular.
The idea of blowing up what you want to take over is something only an idiot would consider.
Hell, even the North Koreans aren't that stupid.
In fact, they probably have the sanest nuke policy of any country in the world.
"We're poorer than sh!t, but we are building nukes. Give us money, food, and oil and we will stop." (Till we need more money, food, and oil).
Second, it's egotistical, and typical American self importance, to think America will be the target.
Israel is far more likely to take an Iranian nuke, and India and Pakistan are more focused on each other.
That's one to watch, since the Chinese have been putting pressure on India's Northern border.
1st world countries f#ck each other financially.
What do you think all this Cyber war crap is about ?
No one gives a crap about "territory any more. it's all about economics.

Humanity has been fighting among itself with out break for 4000+ years, and damned little of it has been the "Clausawitzian" conventional warfare you are all so fixated on.
That and democrat treason. are why America hasn't won a war in 75 years.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2021, 12:42:43 PM »
Step by Step, slowing he progresses.

Got the "gin pole" (such as it is) up and the Ham Stick down.  Have removed the bolts holding the top section together.
Now waiting on #2 Son to assist in removing the top section.  Will try using a large cold chisel to break it free.  if all else fails I can just cut it off. 

Here's the mighty Ham Stick that for couple of days will just reside on this temporary base, with it's 3 radials.  Don't laugh I worked NE France yesterday on that.   20m FT8 mode.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »
Have you used that diskcone on 6 meters? I have the exact one and lost the "custom" mounting plate for my 1/4 wave 6-meter antenna so I was going to try it.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »
The Diamond Discone is just for the VHF/UHF scanner.  On the left is the Diamond tri-band, 2m/440/6m.  I have used it recently on 6m with the Icom 706 and made several FT8 contacts during an opening.
Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
MAJOR MILESTONE TODAY:

Got tired of waiting on #2 son to drop by and help me remove the top section.   In all fairness he got a gig teaching acting classes this weekend, that's on top of his M-F regular job, his roof damage mediation side gig and having his daughter this weekend, so I'll cut him some slack.   Given the Tropical storms Fred and Grace, and the earthquake I want to get my 20m stick back in the air.   That and 6m was dead all weekend.

I had already put up a crude gin pole.  By using a hammer and dull cold chisel I had determined which of the three tower legs was going to be the easiest to separate, and I had already cut the other to legs off.  I cut so the top section is still intact and sellable.  I'll probably never re-add the top section again.   So this morning I removed the security light to get it out of the way and repositioned the ladder to give me as high and stable a perch as possible.  Sure enough just turning and lifting the tower section came apart and I lowered it with the gin pole rope.  All went very smoothly and safely.  Then I put the ham stick back up and mounted the security light on the cross clamps.  I had never like the jury-rigged way I had mounted it before.    So I'm back on the air on 20m.   Next step will be ordering the 4BTV vertical.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #105 on: Today at 06:37:23 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »
LOOKIE LOOKIE.  What just came (Monday).

I decided why not?  Ordered the 5BTV so I'll have 80m-10m.   Started putting it together Monday night.  Slowly.  I did also get the re-enforced bottom section, the connection harness and the SS-30 copper goop to insure good electrical connections between sections.

Also you can see Miss Kitty's dawgs.  Major Caliber (Calie) and Bentley, Sir Charles Bentley (Charlie).

Waiting on harness then we'll put it on the test stand and tune it.

DXEngineering does a good job with the accessories (not cheap) and instructions.  The one place they fall down is they say to assemble it on the ground.  Then in a couple of places they remind the user to clean out any dirt or grass.  Duh, saw-horses make such a perfect work space for this I don't know why they didn't recommend it.   

Meanwhile the ham stick is good for 4-7 QSOs a day.  Have never heard Alaska or Hawaii, but might help if I tried some other time than mid day on 20m.   Have worked 4 stations, one twice, in NM and not one has confirmed.  grrr. 

Will work for ammo

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2021, 06:46:09 PM »
SWEET !!!!!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »
I just had a thought,   ::)

With the exception of reloading, the only "relation" between anything in this thread, and guns, is that both are in some of the same brains.

Still, "Related hobbies" sounds better than "Random sh!t that caught our attention".    ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
I just had a thought,   ::)

I do to, on occasion

With the exception of reloading, the only "relation" between anything in this thread, and guns, is that both are in some of the same brains.

Still, "Related hobbies" sounds better than "Random sh!t that caught our attention".    ;D

Well the OP brought  up Ham Radio in his original post as related, loosely along the prepper line of things.  Or should we call it Disaster Preparedness?

I had a thought (too) about starting this in it's own thread.   After I get the antenna up and working, maybe I'll start a thread just for current Ham Radio related things.
Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2021, 01:52:39 PM »
Sometimes I sit and think,
Sometimes I just sit.   ;D

No point in changing it now .
The way we skip around a thread titled "Radio stuff" would be the LAST place any one would look for, ya know, radio stuff.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk