Author Topic: Related hobbies?  (Read 21020 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
Re: Related hobbies?
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
Hey, chinsey is good.  It looks none the worse for the wear after so many years.

Get us a pic when you finish up!!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
Hey, chinsey is good.  It looks none the worse for the wear after so many years.

Get us a pic when you finish up!!

DON'T LOOK DOWN ! !   ;D
 ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2021, 09:36:15 AM »
Not in a hurry on this, so updates after this one may be a little slow in coming.

Got the side arm built and forgot to take pictures.  I ran into a problem with two of the 5/16" stainless bolts on the Genius Clamp.  Threaded the nuts on okay, but I decided to take them off and they bound tight.  Couldn't turn them either way.  Fortunately, they were out near end so I cut them off and reshaped the thread and put on replacements.  Also fortunate, that I had order longer bolts than I needed.   After that I just wanted to get the antennas mounted and the whole assembly on the tower.

Sorry for all the back light.  I'll do an afternoon picture in the next post. 

The side bar to tower clamps are just what I had.  Stainless pro clamps are arriving today and I'll change those out tomorrow morning.  At $35ea I just didn't see my way for four more of the DX Genius Clamps to mount the side bar to the tower.   I mean they've formed a real sturdy side bar, but it doesn't take that much to mount it on the tower.

So the VHF/UHF & Scanner Discone are back up.   I went to the top this morning and took down the TV antenna.  Plus I made a spider with three lengths of #14 wire, as radials for the 20m Ham Stick.  I added those while I was at the top.   They're just hanging straight down for now.  (16', 16.5' and 17' lengths)  Jury's still out, but the SWR at 14.074 is about as low as it can register now.  Most of my contacts this morning are giving me better signal than I'm receiving from them.  That's a plus.

Next step in the next couple of weeks is to remove the top 10' section.  Will coordinate with #2 son to assist on that one.   Then order and install the 4BVT.

Oh, I'm at 43 confirmed states using FT8.  Grid tracker is great for finding stations in my missing states.   Wish people who say they're on LOTW would upload their data more than once a year though.   Hold forth most mornings 10-11ish, on 20m.   W4ADS  EM73.   Just making as many contacts as I can this morning since I don't see any new states on the air today.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2021, 02:59:34 PM »
Are you mounting the 4btv on the tower????

It sounds like it but I am a little dense.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »
Yes.  It's permissible with radials.  I don't have the yard for it.  I'm lowering my tower from 26' to 16', which will only put the vertical ~ 7' above the gutter.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Sponsor

« Reply #75 on: Today at 03:45:00 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 07:50:27 AM »
Yes.  It's permissible with radials.  I don't have the yard for it.  I'm lowering my tower from 26' to 16', which will only put the vertical ~ 7' above the gutter.

Won't that need a lot of radials? I know when in the ground the radials are cut to varying lengths to match different bans.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
Won't that need a lot of radials? I know when in the ground the radials are cut to varying lengths to match different bans.

No clue.
I'm just here to joke about the pichers .   ;D

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
No clue.
I'm just here to joke about the pichers .   ;D

Hell, you need another hobby. Get into ham radio!!!  ;^)

tombogan03884

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 01:21:04 PM »
Hell, you need another hobby. Get into ham radio!!!  ;^)

3 D printing fills my need for non political things to swear at .    ;D   ;D

Kind of replaces work in that respect.    ;D   ;D   ;D

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »
Cheap and easy adder for 17 meters....

https://hamuniverse.com/4btvto17meters.html

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk