Poll

How is your job situration now as compared to when Barack HUSSEIN Obama took office.

Did you really have to ask?  I feel bad enough about it anyway to have someone mention it.
0 (0%)
Worse.
4 (16.7%)
Better.  (If You Vote For This Please State Why This Is True).
5 (20.8%)
There be leprechan's out there with the unicorns and rainbows of joy.  Their coming to take me away, ha ha, ho ho, hee hee....
1 (4.2%)
About the same.  But I've had to work my you know what off to keep it that way.
2 (8.3%)
With Obamacare does it really matter?  More money means less money.  I'm working a better job or with better pay but I'm not keeping up.
1 (4.2%)
I'm retired, and it was planned just like I thought I would exit.
4 (16.7%)
I'm retired but it was not as I had planned I had to start early because of the economy.
4 (16.7%)
Working now but storm clouds are on the horizon.  I do not know how long this will hold together for me.
1 (4.2%)
My job was taken by a low wage illegal.
0 (0%)
I had an injury causing me to take disability.
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: H O W - - I S - - Y O U R - - J O B - - S I T U A T I O N - - N O W ? ? ?  (Read 11057 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
I'll be retired 2 years this coming December. I feel as though I got out just in time. The future doesn't look very promising. Especially in my trade. Although that could easily change for the better if Trump gets in and lowers the corporate tax rate. Then there is an estimated $2 TRILLION dollars parked offshore that will find it's way back into the country. If that happens the economy could easily go from bust to the biggest boom in decades. Obama has all but choked capitalism to death in the past 8 years with tax and regulations...... Over 20,000 of them at last count. Something else Trump will have to fix.

tombogan03884

Even if the economy does pick up 3D printers will finish off machinists.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:

Yeah, that technology is advancing all the time. Look at how far it's gone in sophistication and price in just the last few years.

Timothy

Doing employment market research over the last few months of unemployment and finding my occupation is in a 10-12% negative growth downturn.  How does one changed direction at nearly 60 years of age?

I already have about 10 resumes of various forms and haven't been able to send out a single one in the last few weeks.  Now I'm looking at contract work.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895

I believe that the machinists displaced by the printers will be able to shift to the printing side, if they and their companies are willing to educate and train.  However, I do not believe that the printers will wipe out all machining.  We are a long way from getting the strength and durability needed in many machined parts from a printer.

I believe the secret to stability and growth is cleaning up the tax code and cutting back on rule instituting agencies.  If we drop the corporate double taxation and also allow decent time for corporations and individuals to reinvest gains we will see more money here.  And if we do away with the ability and sense of need for every special interest agency and self serving elected official to pass more rules and regulations we will shift billions from oversight and compliance to production with no increased risk to the worker or the public.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

Timothy

Not a machinist but I've been working in and around them and NC programming for 20 plus years. 

What 3D printing does for machining the final product is huge.  The printer can make a perfect copy, at least by the designers aspect, making the model easily transferred into the multi axis CNC software which does transfer directly into the new controls available to todays machining centers.  The machining then becomes fully automated and without input from machinists that once did 100% of the programming themselves.  They've become monitors of the process rather than direct input of the code themselves. 

It changes the dynamic considerably.  I know of one 40 year machinist that can run a 5 axis HAAS in his sleep but doesn't have the knowledge or the interest in learning Master Cam or other programming software to further his learning.

I'm in the same boat only on the technical side.  We've sent so much work offshore that knuckledragging engineer types like me are screwed... 

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:

It changes the dynamic considerably.  I know of one 40 year machinist that can run a 5 axis HAAS in his sleep but doesn't have the knowledge or the interest in learning Master Cam or other programming software to further his learning.

Red is the key!  On the right side of the aisle we have heard for years that workers need to advance themselves and adapt to the changing market.  This has also been the base argument against the over blown minimum wage - Learn and grow, and your wage will grow in reward.

The left side of the aisle ignores the workers already in place and brags about our youth who can operate anything and everything from their mothers' basements with a joystick.

Advances in technology is nothing new, and the reaction to it has been constant.  Thatchers suffered with the advent of shingles, and shake installers suffer due to the development of asphalt shingles.  The old adage about buggy whip makers starving to death when the horseless carriage advanced can be applied here as well.

I hate to sound cruel and uncaring, but keep growing or chose one of the following:
1.  Become irrelevant in the market place and suffer the economic consequences;
2.  Join the union, and force us all to protect and pay you for just being you.

Of course, you can always vote for Bernie Sanders, and the rest of us will just hand over our paychecks to support you.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
They are pouring money and technology into 3D metal printers, because they know the payback will be enormous. They will be constantly improving quality through sintering and powdered metal technology. It won't be long before they have the same strength and quality as machined parts.

Look at the quality Ruger built into investment casting. It used to be considered "pot metal". Good for only cheap, low durability goods. Now they're almost as strong as forged. The Ruger #1 and Model 77 receivers are testament to that fact. Both are some of the strongest receivers in the firearms world.

It's only a matter of time before 3D metal printing gets to this same level. I can't believe how far it's come already. Many of these smaller units are consumer affordable as we speak.

Timothy

All good points..

I've spent the last thirty years going from a tech assistant at General Dynamics, went to school for a while, taught myself drafting, AutoCAD, Solidworks and a dozen CNC programming techniques, sheet metal development and fabrication, laser operations, punching operations, designing, MRP/ERP systems, estimating, etc...

With all that, they're paying wetbacks a few bucks to my 35/hr for the same work.  That and our customer just stopped giving us work!  They were tired with dealing with the top corporation and sent the projects elsewhere..  I've done what I can to remain relevant but to no avail...  Now I'm pushing 60 and will probably work several gigs to make half what I was earing before. 

Still hopeful but time is running out for me...  With a disabled spouse, I'm tapped out when the unemployment ends..

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Have Faith Timothy!

I have a work history that will beyond chapters and into volumes in my obituary.  In my late 50's I find myself with a college degree, a Mortuary Science license, a history in retail and wholesale, and a lot of agriculture experience.  All of these have people contacting me to offer employment.  However, I have returned to truck driving. 

The market, consumer, drives most of what we earn.  The demand for cheap food and no funerals makes my skills in those areas nearly worthless in terms of paying the bills.  I can earn 50% more driving 2,500 miles a week and spending 1 1/2 of those days delivering to stores (hand unloading) than I can funeral service.  Who would have ever thought that an occupation that cares for the dead, protects the public from the health issues of death, and deals with all the legal and regulatory details would be worth less than a person driving truck, plowing snow, teaching school, etc.?

There is a strange conflict within our political system if you listen to those on both sides of the aisle.  They both want a strong work force, they both want good and reliable workers and products, they both want as much as possible created here in our 50 states, but neither side is willing to give up the Walmart or Amazon model of not paying what something is really worth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk