Author Topic: STOP THE PRESSES!!!  (Read 5429 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
If their product description is true, this might require a rewrite of "The ABC's of Reloading".

Reading more details....they say the cases "spring back to original shape when fired".  Since " Outside dimensions comply with SAAMI specifications., does that mean resizing is eliminated or greatly reduced?

"Shell Shock Technologies, LLC. (SST), a start-up technology and manufacturing company focused on developing disruptive case technologies for the ammunition industry, has officially launched their first product; the NAS3 two-piece 9mm Nickel Alloy Shell."

"The nickel plated aircraft-grade aluminum head, offers greater lubricity than brass and will not abrade, clog, foul, wear-out or damage breach and ejector mechanisms. SST’s patent pending design also prevents ‘ballooning’ caused by pistols and automatic weapons with an unsupported breach."

"The proprietary nickel alloy stainless cylinder offers uniform wall thickness and a case capacity that is fractionally larger than a standard 9mm shell. Outside dimensions comply with SAAMI specifications. In addition, the case design incorporates a fractionally larger flash hole which helps eliminate back-face pressure, increases burn efficiency and is ideal for the new generation of environmentally friendly primers."

"The combination of materials offers greater corrosion resistance, tensile strength (2x stronger) and elasticity than brass.  NAS3 cases will not split, chip, crack or grow (stretch) and are fully-reloadable with SST’s custom reloading dies. Testers have reported up to 40 reloads. NAS3 cases eject cool to-the-touch and can be picked up with a magnet (great for outdoor ranges)."

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/first-new-technology-ammunition-cases-decades-shell-shock-technologies-llc/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=cf6609fcd3-Monday_Morning_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-cf6609fcd3-20630649#axzz48pU2NWWL

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2016/5/8/first-gear-ammunition-these-arent-your-daddys-cartridges/

http://www.shellshocktech.com/

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: STOP THE PRESSES!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
Hmmm......Velly intellesting!!!
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »
I saw the article earlier, but am skeptical until it's been "field" tested.

I'm still waiting on some of the plastic bollits to make it to market to try out.

Of course 9mm, .40S&W and .38spl brass can be had for nothing except the effort to pick them up.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »
I saw the article earlier, but am skeptical until it's been "field" tested.

I'm still waiting on some of the plastic bollits to make it to market to try out.

Of course 9mm, .40S&W and .38spl brass can be had for nothing except the effort to pick them up.

True...I don't see them for sale anywhere yet either.

The NRA publication link listed above did an enthusiastic review of them, so it might be looking good.

The cost of the cases is nice, but it is just a part of the benefits.

Up to 40 reloads per case means you won't have to scrounge as often...and if this stuff is widely used, it might be what you are scrounging anyway...

Also, if the descriptions are accurate, there might be much less case prep and even reduced reloading steps involved. 

No Stretching means no case trimming and if it does "spring" back to it's original size there might be no, or minimal, resizing...since they are said not to bulge in chambers with partially unsupported heads, this might be true...plus a bonus for Glock fans.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
One thing to note as well is they said you would need their dies to reload.

NAS3 cases will not split, chip, crack or grow (stretch) and are fully-reloadable with SST’s custom reloading dies. Testers have reported up to 40 reloads.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:24:49 AM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
One thing to note as well is they said you would need their dies to reload.

This is true.   I went looking for the dies on there web site, but they were not listed.

Figured the count and their names might give hints about how the cases performed.

*It sounds like a sizing die might not be required  but will you need to expand the neck before seating the bullet?

I also wonder how the case head and body "connect"  Do they separate upon firing or ejection (my guess would be no)?  It does sound like separating them is something you would be doing since it is suggest that the different colored heads could be used for different load identification.  Maybe they are manufactured separately then joined permanently before use?

*upon further reading, I saw it stated minimal resizing would be required.
—Patrick Henry

— Daniel Webster

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
for pistol cals... extraction is what really does the damage unless you are loading them hot.( glockorised 40 excluded it)
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk