Author Topic: 9mm vs. .380  (Read 5650 times)

SomedumGuy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
9mm vs. .380
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »
This isn't to debate the merits or shortcomings of either round ( you're welcome to, I don't really care ), but to answer a question:
I have a Walther PPK-s, Cold War, Made in W Germany stamped on the barrel. Also stamped there is 9mm, but it only accepts .380. A 9mm  (ACP) slug is too large diameter to fit through the barrel. Does the European measurement designate a different size? Why does it say 9mm when it isn't?

Timothy

9mm vs. .380
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:11:06 PM »
.380 ACP or 9mm Corto or Kurz, Browning and Short are all the same and are exactly the same diameter bullet as 9mm Luger!  They .380 bullet is lighter and the case is shorter than 9mm Luger.  .380 or 9mm Short is 17mm case, 9mm Luger is 19mm case length.  You cannot shoot 9mm Luger in a PPK or PPKs!

No bullet will travel freely down a barrel without being fired.  If you're trying to fit a 9mm Luger into the chamber it won't fit because it's too long for the chamber by approximately 2mm.  (over 1/16")

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
Re: 9mm vs. .380
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:56:41 PM »
What he said. ^ Also I believe the head of the 9mm Luger case is just a hair wider.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
What he said. ^ Also I believe the head of the 9mm Luger case is just a hair wider.

Is that due to the increased case wall thickness due to higher pressures, Frank?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:18:23 PM »
The 9mm rim is tapered about .012" wider than the case mouth and the .380 is basically straight at .001" of taper. My guess is that the taper is to make it feed better.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:22:14 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »
There are three rounds to consider here.

9x19 or 9mm Luger - bullet .355, Pressure ~35,000
9x18 or 9mm Makarov - bullet .364, Pressure ~24,000
9x17 or .380 or 9mm Short...  - buller .355  ~21,000

The Markarov is 1mm short than the 9mm Luger but other dimensions are similar EXCEPT it uses bullet that are .364 in diameter.   It is a lower pressure round.  With a good extractor you can fire the 9x18 in a 9mm Luger gun.  No particular problem. Wouldn't depend on it working every time though.  I've on rare occasion found a case in my range sweepings and load it with .355 bullets and it has worked fine.  A testimony to Glock's ability to digest most any ammo. 

The .380, contrary to what some people think isn't just a shorter 9mm.  It is smaller dimensionaly in all respects to the 9mm Luger including the case wall thickness.  That allows it to use the same size bullet.  I've tried to chamber a .380 in a 9mm but it is too small for the extractor to hold in place.  Not that it couldn't happen.  The risk would be if you did manage to fire it. is that the case would not seal the chamber and you'd get blow back.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk