Author Topic: 1911 TIme! Which one?  (Read 9156 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 TIme! Which one?
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have the money saved up for a new 1911. Not even an expensive one, just a "better than bottom rung" one. My bucket list calls for a "Shiny 1911" so you can see it must be stainless or nickel.
I"m looking at Colts, S&W, Kimber (a little too $$$ though), and the Ruger. Springfield is a maybe too. The price of the Ruger is nice, but I"ve held a S&W and racked it and know that it's nice. AND I would just feel great if I got a Colt.

So, I know this is going to open a floodgate, but any opinions? I'm spending around 1K.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

Re: 1911 TIme! Which one?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
Rock Island/ Armscor.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
The only one on your list I've ever owned was a Colt that I liked. The Ruger is a series 70 design and Colt is available as a series 70 or series 80. I don't mind having the series 80 safety but some people don't like it. It's easier to get a good trigger pull without it. My Para Ordnance kit gun came with a metal plate to take up the space of the series 80 safety parts so I could use series 70 parts but I chose to make it a series 80 anyway. Safer should be better.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
I have had my S&W for many years and man tens of thousand rounds.  I would buy it all over again!  A friend just bought a S&W Koenig for a good price new, and it looks worth as well, but I would not hesitate to go with the basic. 

P.s.
Mine is SST,sso I do shower with it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Swamp Yankee

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »
 I would go with the Smith & Wesson 1911 Enhanced great bang for the buck with all the bells and whistles.

Mike Mc
NRA Certified Instructor, Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:25:38 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »
Let's see:

I own S&W stock, so please buy S&W.

Personally, I own an original Mk IV Series 70 Colt and love it.  Then again, I don't shot it often.  It's wearing, Bullseye Target fiber optics right now.   I wish I could get a spare collet or two for it.

I may have to take her out more often.  But then the revolvers might get upset.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
Rock Island/ Armscor.

I think Rock Island is best bang for your buck.  I remember when they were $300 at the gun shows and I was scared to buy one....now I wish I had bought a bushel basket of them.  You can save a few $$$'s then use the savings to dress it up however you like.

Kimbers....maybe if you want a 10MM.

Ruger would probably be my choice.

S&W never wanted to get into the 1911 business.  They were doing castings for someone who we would all recognize the name and the guy rejected them for a lower price.  That's when they decided to go it on their own.  I suspect they are good quality because the name we would all recognize is definitely Tier 1.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:48 PM »
Take a look at the Sig Sauer "traditional" line.  It has the rounded slide where their regular line had the squared up slide like their P2xx series.  If you are not a purist and can handle the external extractor I think you will find they have a lot of features that are normally seen on the higher dollar guns.  IMHO they are currently the best deal in 1911.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »
If you like shiny, Cabela's has the Ruger SR-1911 in High Polish Stainless Steel. It's much better than Nickel, and you can take any scratches or imperfections out with some Flitz Metal Polish and a microfiber towel. They're around $1K. (Click on the bottom left 3 images).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/handguns/semiautomatic-pistols%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105526980/i/105529680/ruger-reg-1911-centerfire-pistols/1226036.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsemiautomatic-pistols%2F_%2FN-1114851%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105529680%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
I'm sure S&W makes a good 1911 but my SIL had one that just would not run.  They had it back twice in a few months and could not determine the problem!

I liked my Para, learned on an old 50's era 1911A1 Colt with GI sights...  That would work for me but they're pricey in MA cuz new Colts aren't approved here.

Ruger looks like a good buy.  I like em blued or the equivalent.  SS doesn't get my blood flowing..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk