Author Topic: I need to buy a rail....Key Mod or M-LOK ? ? ?  (Read 7442 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
I need to buy a rail....Key Mod or M-LOK ? ? ?
« on: July 01, 2016, 05:41:17 AM »
The last rail I bought was a Geissele MK5 Keymod, 9.5" .   I've been distracted with work the last 3 years and I have not kept up...

This is going to be for a lightweight build that I bring when I'm traveling.  You guys know how I feel about an EMP event....so....I am making a durable build that I will have to carry 50-500 miles.

I need a 10.5" to 13" rail.  No shorter, no longer.

Strong and durable, yet light, is the plan and none of that dang quad rail picatinny that adds weight and abrades your hand.   

So now I see this M-LOK stuff.  Is that the way to go?  I've seen some buzz that it's going to be or is the way to go because it is supported by MagPul and it is not proprietary like KeyMod was when it was released to specific providers.

I know some of you guys are active in training and in completion.  What are the plusses  and minuses or is there another, better, way to go?  By the way, Geissele has one heck of a sale ongoing on blems right now.....better hit it much is gone overnight.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
Re: I need to buy a rail....Key Mod or M-LOK ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
I too have heard that M-LOK is the way to go, and that it has the majority share of rails sold over Keymod. Myself, I bought a keymod a couple years ago, and am sticking to it so I have interchangeable parts across different platforms, including a super-light build I did.

At this point, I'd say you can't go wrong either way.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
12.5" M-Lok:

My Daily Carry Carbine, Weighs 5.6 lbs with optic.  No back up sights, yet. but it will shoot 1.5" groups all day at a 100 yards.  I have the build posted up here in the forum if you want to know more about the build but I voted M-Lok with my wallet.  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Part depends on the interchangeability you want for attachments and what you plan to do with it in the future.

I tend to just go with whichever light weight rail that's sturdy, feels good to hold and is available in the length I want for a good price.  As long as I have the attachments I needed for each rifle, that's all I care about.     I might care more if I had an armory or planned to change out a lot of accessories between one gun or the other.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
I'm thinking I'm moving to M-LOK.  I only have the one Key Mod...so I'll be selling the 9-1/5" Geisselle MK5. 

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:40:10 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
And then I read where key mod is more sturdy than m-lok which is cheaper.  So it's a choice on better or more better....I'm really in a quandary now.

Mr. Bane, if you happen to run across this thread would you care to opine?

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:20:23 PM »
Depends on purpose, if it's for a scope go with strong and stable, if it's just to hang shit on your AR go with strong enough but cheap.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »
As far as which is stronger, I would think that may more of a function of the individual design of a particular rail than any thing else.  I'm still trying to make up my mind which fore end for my build.  I could spend as much or more for a rail as I did for the barrel.  Some of the designs are available in both KMod or MLok.  I really like some of the Midwest Industries hand guards.  Nice and light, but not much discounting to be found from their web sight prices.  Faxon has some basic rails for less.  I'm really leaning toward MLok.  Really like the Sampson Evolution hand guard, but not available in MLok, only KMod, or Sampsons own attachment system.  I spoke with Sampson and doesn't sound like an Evo model in MLok will be forth coming.  Sampson will be coming out with a MLok hand guard, but it will be nothing like the current Evo model they told me. Will also be several months down the road.  I may go with the Sampson even though it's not available in MLok.     
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
Here's the Mid West industries fore end.   I built this for the exact same purpose as you are, Rastus.   This is in my car when I travel.    I don't care about attachments other than the sights.   It has a rail on the top and a stud for the sling on the bottom. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
I'm like Alf..... I just finished a "small travel companion" back in August (no pics) so as to have more firepower on hand when traveling. I used a 7" free-float keymod (with barrel nut, endcap, and four rails) that I found on ebay for $30. I wish I had went with the 6.5" because until I machine the opening of the endcap, I can't use it with the A2 eyesight interrupter. I doubt it'll work with a Levang (what I want to add).

This is the first time I've used the keymod system, but it seems capable enough for what I need....which is the ability to mount sights/optics at a better eye relief on such a short radius.

Overall though, I am impressed with the fit, finish, and function of a fore end that cost so little compared to what others sell for.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk