Author Topic: Unintended purchase  (Read 6072 times)

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Unintended purchase
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Hi all - its been a while since I've had much to say, but while I was out getting supplies for an oil change in my wife's car this weekend - between the place where I buy the filter and the place where I buy the oil - is one of my most favorite pawn shops, I "all most" did not stop - but then why not - Right?

In the case was a Kahr CW45 - I've always admired the Kahr's but never really thought I'd own one.

$190.00 (plus sales tax) WHAT!
I asked what's wrong? Typo? Wanted for murder? What?

Guy at the counter said it was put up on pawn, partially paid off then own never paid the least bit to pick it up, so the pawn shop owner put it up for what they are owed - he did say it was JUST put out, 5 or so minutes before I walked through the door.

Took it home, cleaned it (very dirty but all cleaned up well and looks fully serviceable) and the only issue I could identify was the metal tab on the magazine which I believe is the tab the slide stop engages to lock the slide back on empty was protruding so far out that the magazine that the magazine would load one round and then the tab on the follower hit the magazine body not allowing the follower to retract in to the magazine when trying to load more than the first round. 

Leatherman fixed that - I pushed the tab back in to the body of the follower and was able easily loaded all 6 rounds.
I did not get to fire it this weekend as I already had my Sunday list of "to do's" full but hope to get out this weekend.

I realize that should the gun function, this magazine will be marked/painted as a range magazine not intended for carry - and I'll order 3 new mags before it goes in to service.

I purchased 300 rounds of ball form three different manufactures to put it through its paces - but man, I was not intending to purchase a gun, was not intending to join the .45ACP group, I was not intending to buy a Kahr (normal carry is J frame .38sp)

While I've had in the past Glock 26, 19, 17 they've all come an gone along with Ruger SR9C a SIG P229 .40S&W - I always defaulted back to my S&W .38's and .357 revolvers and Ruger SP101 and SecuritySix .357

Dumb luck I suppose will be nice to run a new to me semi-auto - will report back once I run it at the range.     

tombogan03884

Re: Unintended purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
Oops, it just tripped and fell on my credit card.  LOL
Congrats on a great deal.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Nice find.  8)  Welcome to the .45 club. There's always room for more members. I always admired Kahrs too but will probably never own one.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:25:45 PM »
<snip>
In the case was a Kahr CW45 - I've always admired the Kahr's but never really thought I'd own one.

$190.00 (plus sales tax) WHAT!
I asked what's wrong? Typo? Wanted for murder? What?
<snip>

Well dadgummit.  You had to rub that one in, didn't you?   8)

I don't know if the dirt was from shooting, being dropped or pocket lint...but those little Kahr's need a couple of hundred rounds through them to shoot right.  They are machined pretty tight. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »
Yes that's what I read in the users manual - 200 break in rounds, who know (or cares) what the previous owner put through it.

I'm starting its round count at 0 and running my own 300 to be sure.
Itching to get out and see but am expecting some failures to work through - but still, half the fun of buying guns - right?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:49:50 AM »

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »
Try calling Kahr,They may replace the magazine for free...Doesn't hurt to ask.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
Dang, that almost has me wanting to run around pawn shops!!  Great find!!
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
Dang, that almost has me wanting to run around pawn shops!!  Great find!!

I buy very few New In Box guns honestly - Pawn Shops are my GO TO fire arms dealer.
Security Six Stainless
Speed Six Blue
870 Police Magnum
Bersa Thunder (sadly sold)
SIG P229 (Traded for Pawn Shop Bushmaster AR)
Kahr CW45

All are pawn finds at least half of what you would purchase a used gun for in a local "gun shop"

To each his own, but for me it works (and helps to live in a town desperate for quick money..haha)

mkm

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
It must be my part of the world or my luck, but the pawn shops around here ask virtually new prices no matter how used it is. That goes for almost everything (guns and other) in the store. I think I've even seen new guns for less than some of the pawn shop used. It sounds like you got a great deal though.

I bought my first pistol as a private sale for my 21st birthday. I got such a deal, in my opinion, that it has spoiled almost every purchase since. I want to keep finding deals like that. Of course the gun climate of the last 7 years hasn't helped matters.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:25:14 AM »
It's been about a week and the weekend's past now.

Surely you tried those guns out by now.  How did they do?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk