Author Topic: Ruger American and American Compact Pistols  (Read 3599 times)

djk5279

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger American and American Compact Pistols
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
Very disappointed in Ruger with these pistols.  They are way too thick and blocky and way too heavy for polymer pistols.  Way over 30 oz for full size and almost 30 oz for the compact.  Also the top of the backstrap/grip tang area is very square/blocky, non ergonmic and can be painful to shoot.  They may be very reliable and durable pistols, but Ruger missed the mark on size and weight considerations and ergonomics.  A rare, big miss by Ruger.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: Ruger American and American Compact Pistols
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »
I haven't seen them in person.  How do they compare to the SR9's?  I have had one of those and since I had the Ghost trigger connector put in I love the trigger pull and reset.  I prefer it over my M&P 9 that I carry sometimes because it's thinner and lighter.

So...I'll have to get to a shop just to see what you are talking about. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 452
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:43:43 PM »
And I bet the girth of the grip is a full 5.5" which makes it uncomfortable for those with small hands.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:07:35 PM »
Very disappointed in Ruger with these pistols.  They are way too thick and blocky and way too heavy for polymer pistols.  Way over 30 oz for full size and almost 30 oz for the compact.  Also the top of the backstrap/grip tang area is very square/blocky, non ergonmic and can be painful to shoot.  They may be very reliable and durable pistols, but Ruger missed the mark on size and weight considerations and ergonomics.  A rare, big miss by Ruger.

Is that with the smallest grip panels?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
I fired one a couple of weeks ago and it felt pretty good to me....seems like a decent pistol. I also had an SR9 (world famous- or at least DRTV famous). Post-recall trigger aside (which is what ruined it for me) I LIKED the SR9. Haven't had as much time with the American but I thought it was pretty cool.
Don't know if I'd run out and buy one, but then I have enough Tupperware 9s.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:01:58 PM »

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
What I find interesting about these pistols is that, according to Ruger's early publicity about them they meet all the latest US Military standards - yet Ruger did not submit them to the military's competition.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
Probably because they do not want that kind of demand overwhelming their manufacturing capacity.

vincewarde

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
What I find interesting about these pistols is that, according to Ruger's early publicity about them they meet all the latest US Military standards - yet Ruger did not submit them to the military's competition.

I noted that too.  Here a few completely speculative reasons why they may have done this:

1) Many civilian shooters are attracted to guns that are "milspec" - in other words, it is good marketing.

2) Some police agencies many simply require that pistols meet the military's requirements.

3) Perhaps that greatest reason is that should a major national emergency require a rapid procurement of more pistols, they would be eligible at that point.   Ditto if they should want to bid on pistols for foreign governments, something Ruger has in fact done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk