Author Topic: Stainless Steel Media  (Read 8209 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stainless Steel Media
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with stainless steel tumbling media?  I was thinking of trying it, but I dry tumble and I have the impression that you must wet tumble with stainless. Also, it must be really tough on the brass.
Any advice?
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Stainless Steel Media
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »
Jay, FWIW the only thing I have ever heard about SSM is from another non gun related forum.  They use it successfully to clean brass and it doesn't seem to be a problem.  You might join Brian Enos Forum or check it out.  They have a reloading thread.  Just search SSM or start a topic and ask.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 10:19:59 PM »
Thanks

www.bluebone.net

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:47:47 AM »
There was a thread about it a few years ago.
Billt tried it.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=14092.0

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »
Jay, check out Southern Shine Tumblers on facebook......Ryan is a guy within 60 or so miles of me who builds tumblers (kind of expensive) and sells some of the best media (doesn't get stuck in primer pockets or case necks). I bought five pounds from him to use once I finish construction of my own tumbler design.

There are several other fb groups related to case tumbling.

https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers

Most guys on a budget buy rock tumblers off ebay or Harbor Freight for under a hundred bucks. They just won't do large batches.

Jerry Miculeck uses a cement mixer to wet tumble his brass, and I's talked on fb to several other high volume shooters who do as well.

Most of the guys I've talked with get outstanding results using a formula of ArmorAll car wash, Lemishine, and regular Dawn detergent.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:56:16 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
Thanks Peg. It sounds like a lot of work to me. I shine them, load them, and get them dirty again. I think wet tumbling is a little out of my league for my setup.

www.bluebone.net

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
I have looked at it several times, and I boil it down to how much do I care what my brass looks like.  In the end, I don't really care all that much.  I tumble it to where it is decent looking, and reload. There is extra time involved with drying the brass, rinsing, etc..   Heck, Jerry has a dedicated oven to dry his with.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:12:32 PM »
Jerry has a dedicated dishwasher to rinse and dry his in.   The man probably goes through 10,000 rds a month of various calibers.

I don't have a tumbler and the medium is expensive and all that washing and rinsing and drying.  If I were into bench rest or F-class, maybe, but I don't think it affects my 9mm or .38 enough to warrant the trouble or expense.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:44:11 PM »
I use corn cob or walnut shells with a dab of nufinish.   its old school, but works.

the only reason I could see using a SS or other non-consumable media is if you are going to we tumble.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:48:43 AM »
Yep...this is about what I figured, and thanks for the responses. I was using walnut, but the rouge color was aggravating too, so I'm back to the greenish colored kitty litter stuff. It works well enough, cleans the major gook off, and that's all I need. I don't need to add a wing to the garage for brass production.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk