Author Topic: Stainless Steel Media  (Read 8193 times)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Stainless Steel Media
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 11:09:03 AM »
Jay,if you want to use walnut without the rouge,Go to the pet shop and buy "Lizard Litter" It's crushed walnut and a lot cheaper than the store bought polishing media.You can mix it with the stuff you have to cut down on the left over rouge on the brass.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:07 AM »
I go to the feed store( media blasting  is another option for cheap clean media)  they have it by the pound.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »
I use corn cob or walnut shells with a dab of nufinish.   its old school, but works.

the only reason I could see using a SS or other non-consumable media is if you are going to we tumble.

This is what I still do, as well.

Walnut from the pet store with NuFinish to clean...then corn cob from the pet store with NuFinish to polish after sizing. Sometimes I mix the two media when tumbling fairly clean cases.

You can buy everything you need to wet tumble small batches for under a hundred bucks, but the process is what is too time consumptive for most folks. But considering I've had some .44 brass that took up to 8 hours in the vibratory machine with walnut to get it clean, and the wet tumbler cleans and polishes to new looking in about 1.5 hours and then 30 minutes drying in a thrift-store toaster oven (how a friend does it) it begins to look better. I'll eventually get mine assembled, and if I don't like it, I can sell it on one of the reloading groups I'm in on facebook.

I have also tried and had decent results with ultrasonic cleaning, since I already had the machine to clean gun parts.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
For me I clean cases so rarely its a none issue.   I tipically set up and load at least 10k rounds in a week or so.  Normally its in the winter at about x mas as I rarely am working and looking for something to do. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Bidah

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 04:16:46 PM »
Getting a little bit off topic...  One trick I picked up somewhere was to toss a couple of those dryer sheets in with my media (usually Lizard Litter) as the dirt will attract to it and the media lasts longer.  I be danged it works!  My media lasts a lot longer than it used to.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”  The Doctor

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:53:33 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:42 AM »
I've done that...I take one and cut it up. I think it also helps polish a little, but it definitely picks up a lot of the dirt.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk