Author Topic: MecTec ?  (Read 11162 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MecTec ?
« on: January 10, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
Not sure of the spelling but I was wondering if anyone had tried the MecTec conversion where you use your pistol frame on their carbine conversion top end?  If so is it worth it?  Does it work as advertised?  Any other input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: MecTec ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
I have a MechTech CCU on a Para-Ordnance pistol and haven't shot it much but didn't have any issues. If anyone made a camp carbine type of rifle that took double column Para mags I would have bought that instead. One thing bothers me about it. I have the collapsible AR type stock and it's only held on by one skinny screw. It seems like it would be easy to break but they may have changed it. For that reason I'd rather have a designated pistol caliber carbine if it uses mags I already have. http://mechtechsys.com/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:00 PM »
Richard... I have a small frame Glock version in 9mm.... I like to tinker with my guns, and there is not a lot of options for fine tuning the action.. the bolt is a little heavier than my dedicated 9mm AR9 PCC bolt + buffer and the recoil spring is an extension (screen door) spring... works well with factory ammo, but mine won't run on loads less than about 150 power factor...for a do-over, I'd choose the self contained firing system of my high cap Para lower sitting in the safe, and buy 9mm mags for it.... accuracy is good, and is fun to shoot... if you are thinking of just occasional shooting, it gets you into the PCC game for a reasonable investment....the AR platform is more familiar to me, so I invested in building an AR9 and the MT is probably going to be up for sale....I haven't shot a pistol for the last 6 months for USPSA matches.... Florida State match in 2 weeks....if you have specific questions, please post... regards

I upgraded to a dedicated AR9, using New Frontier Armory billet lower... it is a new learning curve

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
JF and Les, thanks for the input.  Just thinking out loud so to speak.  $$$ is kinda tight right now and I think the MT would be cheaper that a dedicated 9 AR.  Don't have one in 223 so you can see my dilemma.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

DanPatWork

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
While a dedicated 9mm ar patern carbine might be pricey you may want to look at some of, the other option as well. Don't forget to take a look at the sub2000 for glock mag patern if you have a glock already. Another one to check out is the JustRight carbine. I believe that both offer options for Glock and Beretta mag patterns, not sure of any others. Someone else may know more.
I love my Lone Wolf 9mm ar patern but it certainly is not for a budget plan.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:12:18 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »
Richard... my AR9 was under $800 without the sight..

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »
I took a look at their website and the collapsible stock they have now is different from mine. It looks like it uses a standard M4 stock with an adapter mounted to the back of the housing. It doesn't show what holds the adapter on so it may or may not have a single screw like mine. Hopefully they use a larger diameter that's harder to break.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:47:21 PM »
Opening  up  an  old  thread.  Has  anyone  with  a  MecTec  chronoed  ammo  to  see  how  much  velocity  is  gained  over  the  same  ammo  thru  a  pistol?

Richard 

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »
Opening  up  an  old  thread.  Has  anyone  with  a  MecTec  chronoed  ammo  to  see  how  much  velocity  is  gained  over  the  same  ammo  thru  a  pistol?

Richard

Not me, but I've seen where people have chronoed a pistol and a different model of carbine. I don't remember what the percentage of velocity increase was, but with some ammo it worked out to roughly 1/3 more muzzle energy. I think I was only looking at .45 ACP since that's what I have.

All I know is that +P ammo from my MechTech hits pretty hard. One time I had some 185 grain +P flat tipped FMJ ammo that I think Winchester originally loaded for the SEAL teams. I filled an empty pop can up with water and when I shot it the can ended up in 2 pieces. I was expecting a big hole, but not 2 separate pieces. Hollow points should be very effective.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
There are 5 different calibers available depending on what pistol frame you have. +P ammo is acceptable but +P+ is not. The M1911 version is available in .460 Rowland. You can use most any modern 1911 frame with it except those made by IAI in the Philippines, AMT, Auto Ordnance, and Charles Daly. Clark Custom used to recommend that you don't use any of those or original G.I. pistols. They made conversions for pistols without a ramped barrel. I have a ramped barrel on my Para Ordnance .45 and have to use the Para Block to fill the space in the frame and act as a feed ramp. It would be a weak spot if I did that with a .460 Rowland but doesn't hurt anything with .45 ACP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk