Author Topic: 80% lowers?  (Read 8520 times)

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
80% lowers?
« on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
Has anyone built a rifle using a 80% lower? Midway has them for $40.00 so I ordered one.Will see how much of a job it is to do,Any help would be appreciated.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1403
Re: 80% lowers?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »
It is NOT hard at all. More of just assembly of parts. Once you have the parts in hand it didn't take but a few hours and I was being extra SLOW to not mess anything me. Also Midway and a lot of other people have put good videos out on youtube and at Midways site. Just check the headspace when done.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
I checked a few places that sell the jigs you need for $300-$350 plus it works best if you have a drill press and vice if you don't have a milling machine. It's possible to use a router with the jigs too. It's more work than I want to do and you can buy a complete ready to use lower for half the price of the jigs.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
I have a friend with a milling machine,I have a couple good vices and a drill press.I was just wondering if it was possible without using the jig,Guess I'll have to wait to see what comes with it.Or see if I can rent the jig somewhere.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »
if you have access to a mill you will be fine.   while you don't need a jig it will help.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:12 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:01 PM »
Those jigs are way cheaper than the others I saw. It pays to shop around.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »
Thanks Peg,I bookmarked those to order once I get the lower .

-Sheriff Jim Wilson

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
I ordered the jig,I'll post pictures of the finished product when done...If I remember  ;D :o

-Sheriff Jim Wilson

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »
I ordered the jig,I'll post pictures of the finished product when done...If I remember  ;D :o

Definitely interested in the process. I have entertained the idea back when lowers were high priced.
I am still interested just from the gunsmithing/tinkerer/DIY aspect.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk