Author Topic: New Grips  (Read 5892 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Grips
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
One of the things I "requested" for Christmas was a new set of 1911 grips.
I got theses CNC'd aluminum grips from Valkyrie. Pricing was decent too, I think less than $40.
At first I thought the pattern would be sharp to the skin, but it actually affords (me, at least) a nice, secure grasp on the weapon, and I thought it enhanced my control in rapid fire.
Here they are on my SIG GSR.

I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Ranger Dave

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: New Grips
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:55 AM »
Sweet

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Very nice, indeed.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:39:12 AM »
Cool.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:50:17 AM »
Jay, did you have any problems with the bushings backing out or stripping when you changed them out? I'd like to get a new set of grips for my Rock Island 9 MM G.I., but I'm afraid of having grief. I just went through hell replacing the grips on my Sig P-226.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:42:20 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Bill, actually I DID have some trouble with the Sig. I tried them on my Colt and didn't have any trouble, but 2 problems on the Sig. ON the left side the grip sits about 1/16 off the frame. I can't budge the bushings to screw them in a little, although i only tried with a screwdriver and didn't get into anything else.
On the other side, one of the bushings kept unscrewing instead of the grip screw. I cured that by putting some blue loctite on the bushing, screwing it in, and leaving it for 2 days. Then I could get it off ok.
The only other problem I know of is whether your gun uses standard or thin grips...the bushings are spaced a little differently. THat is easy enough to look up online.
All that aside, I like the "grip" the grips give you.

www.bluebone.net

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:53 AM »
New Grips for my Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I think now it's a BBQ gun.
Aluminum from Wicked Grips.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Nice grips on the Gold Cup Jay. Is the other side the same?

The only fancy grips I have are laser engraved walnut with the grim reaper on both grips. I ordered one pair in walnut and one in rosewood but they sent two pair in walnut. The grips were sent to brother at home while I was stationed in Germany about 35 years ago. It was a limited production run and the program for the laser was destroyed when they were done so there would never be any more exactly like them. Then the company went out of business and the grips aren't likely to be duplicated by anyone.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
You are correct, Oh Jumbo one. The other side is the same except for the text which reads in the other direction. These are also limited run...I missed the first run but just happened to look on their website and saw they had 2 pair and snatched one up. They're aluminum and the color is on the back too...not sure about the process but it's sturdy.
I may get some fancy grip screws to complete the look. Have to wait and see, as "pretty" guns is not necessarily my hobby.

www.bluebone.net

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:25:24 PM »
There are some Colt logo screws among others on this page. http://www.altamontco.com/accessories/

I've always liked the looks of Tri-Wing screws just for something different. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grip-screws/1911-tri-wing-grip-screws-prod944.aspx

The choices are almost endless but I always use plain old slotted screws and would probably get Torx if I needed new screws. No Phillips.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk