Author Topic: Good Article On Glock  (Read 9973 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Good Article On Glock
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
I'm no expert or master shooter, but I am somewhat discerning about how guns shoot and feel.

I've had XD, Walther, M&P, Glock and Sig  models to compare over the last couple of years.

Without a doubt, I'd put the Glock down as the most reliable, most aftermarket parts, and as the worst to shoot.  It's just crude.   The others are all so much better, OUT OF THE BOX, than a Glock.  Everything can be "fixed" but it shouldn't have to be.

You can't go wrong buying a Glock, but you certainly can buy a lot better.

Specifics:

The bottom of my trigger finger gets rubbed raw when shooting a Glock.   Yes, I can (and will) take some abrasive to the inside of the trigger guard and smooth it out, hoping that will help.

The trigger safety hook gets hung up sometimes.   I've been told that I must be holding it wrong.  Thing is, when SHTF who has time to figure that out.   Put finger, any part of finger, at any angle on the trigger and pull it should fire.   Don't have that problem with any other guns.

Trigger pull is just rough comparatively. 

The magazine witness holes are hard to discern.   On that topic, S&W has the easiest to see, but they're odd on one side and even on the other.   For competition that's okay, but for real-life tactical not so much.   The Sig has easy to read holes on both sides, but only at 5, 12 and 17.  Not great for competition but all you need to know if you're checking in a firefight.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 01:34:04 AM »
I have a gen 3 mod 35, and a gen4 mod 35.  They both have finger grooves, and I have fat fingers. I have fitted them both with pachmeyer sleeves. Sanding can help. I have opened up the trigger guards on both pistols by sanding the inside/bottom, because of my swollen joint on my first joint of my trigger finger. Now I can engage the trigger with more than my finger tip, and not pinch my finger. As far as a trigger issue, the Glock is the easiest to upgrade. I have the Edge competition trigger in both pistols.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
If you are willing to pay for it, Robar will both remove the finger groves and reduce the grip size...taking away some of the hollow part at the rear of the grip.

https://robarguns.com/custom-weapons/handguns/custom-glocks/

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »
When you buy a brand new gun you shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars more just to make it shootable. It sounds like most people would have to do that with a Glock to get a good trigger, no finger grooves, and maybe a grip reduction too. Why not just buy something else that works well as is?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
When you buy a brand new gun you shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars more just to make it shootable. It sounds like most people would have to do that with a Glock to get a good trigger, no finger grooves, and maybe a grip reduction too. Why not just buy something else that works well as is?

Some would argue that nothing works as well. 

I remember many many mods to the 1911 were needed back in the early 70 to make it work really nice...and that was only after it had been around for 50 years.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:53:15 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »
I've got 6 of them, and I've never given the finger grooves so much as a thought. And I have very large hands. I just put my fingers in them. I'm guessing that's what they were designed for.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
So much conflict for something (I think) is so simple...

If you don't like the way Gock feels-shoots-reloads-triggers-looks, don't freaking buy one.

I've owned/shot my Glock 27 for more than a dozen years and the only change I have made was to add a tritium ghost ring sight system as a concession to my older eyes. 

Sometime back, I did get a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel so I would have the option of shooting two calibers when the SHTF, but I've made no changes to grip, trigger, or anything else but the sights.

Don't get me wrong here.  I have no illusions about this being the best gun ever made.  But Glock is a very well-made weapon that shoots (virtually) every time you pull the trigger and will handle almost anything you try to feed it.  I did have an ejection issue when I first got the gun.  But, I was using Blazer and I think that's why.  I've had no issues in the very many rounds cycled since.

As a caveat and a nod to "full disclosure," I very recently replaced the Glock 27 as my primary carry with a Ruger LCP II.  Not as much gun.  Not as well finished.  Trigger is nowhere near as nice.  And it hurts to run 50 rounds through it.  But it conceals more easily.  ]

My 2-cents,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »
...Glock .... that shoots (virtually) every time you pull the trigger

Where I differ.   It does not shoot for me every time I TRY to pull the trigger.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk