Author Topic: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????  (Read 32788 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
It's about time for me to replace my little 2.1 Megapixel Sony Cybershot. It's not a bad little camera, but it's time for something better. I want something for gun photography, that will show good color and detail. I'm noticing the newer ones will allow up to 40 minutes of video if you use a large capacity memory card. (128 GB).

What kind of cameras are you guys using? I haven't shopped for a camera in over 18 years. So I'm still living in the dark ages, technology wise. I was thinking along the lines of something like this. But I'm not sure? I wouldn't mind hearing Mr. Bane's opinion on this. He has more than likely forgotten more about digital gun photography than most of us will ever know.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d3400-dslr-camera-with-af-p-dx-18-55mm-g-vr-and-70-300mm-g-ed-lenses-black/5580131.p?skuId=5580131

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t6-dslr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-and-ef-75-300mm-iii-lens/5091315.p?skuId=5091315

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
It's about time for me to replace my little 2.1 Megapixel Sony Cybershot. It's not a bad little camera, but it's time for something better. I want something for gun photography, that will show good color and detail. I'm noticing the newer ones will allow up to 40 minutes of video if you use a large capacity memory card. (128 GB).

What kind of cameras are you guys using? I haven't shopped for a camera in over 18 years. So I'm still living in the dark ages, technology wise. I was thinking along the lines of something like this. But I'm not sure? I wouldn't mind hearing Mr. Bane's opinion on this. He has more than likely forgotten more about digital gun photography than most of us will ever know.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d3400-dslr-camera-with-af-p-dx-18-55mm-g-vr-and-70-300mm-g-ed-lenses-black/5580131.p?skuId=5580131

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-eos-rebel-t6-dslr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-and-ef-75-300mm-iii-lens/5091315.p?skuId=5091315

Well my wife has been Nikon/Fuji person for 20+ years. She currently has a 12MP D90-X and a D-7200(24MP) which does 1080P  And the D-90 does 20 Minutes of 720P video in a 32GB card....With Nikon your lenses are interchangeable across the whole line....not so with Canon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAC

Re: Looking For A Good Digital Camera ?????
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:09:56 PM »
What is your budget?

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
Yes how much can you spend? The 3400 is a Base model. The Lenses are ok. My wife has the 70-300: good Crisp clear lens but Nikon introduced a 55-300,...if your doing High speed shooting for Firearms Photography, something like the D620,D750, or the D7200

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
My wife is big into the camera thing.  She just got a Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR .  They are really pricey but it works really well in low light with motion.  She's had two other Canon camera bodies and so far everything Canon is backwards compatible with the lenses she has accumulated. 

With this new digital revolution I think the technology performance will continue but the quality received is about to plateau...which means I won't be buying a bunch of cameras in the future because the old one is really obsolete.

Dr. Football has the best focus though.  What's your price range and zero in on what is best.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:16:14 PM »

BAC

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
What kind of photos are going to take with the camera (action, product shots, portraits)?  What are you going to do with the images (online only, prints, enlargements, mostly video)?

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
My wife is big into the camera thing.  She just got a Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR .  They are really pricey but it works really well in low light with motion.  She's had two other Canon camera bodies and so far everything Canon is backwards compatible with the lenses she has accumulated. 

With this new digital revolution I think the technology performance will continue but the quality received is about to plateau...which means I won't be buying a bunch of cameras in the future because the old one is really obsolete.

Dr. Football has the best focus though.  What's your price range and zero in on what is best.

Thanks Rastus! I'm just a tech head and I do my research. Since I'm on the Media Side of the Gun Biz, were at SHOT every January and other events like the Rimfire challenge matches near us where we have to Juggle shooting With Shooting!!! My wife does most of the Photography and I do the Back end.....

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
Dr. what part of the media are you in?  Do you help out with any of Michael's shows?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

BAC

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
The D7200 is a fantastic camera, if it is within your budget.  Right now they have refurbished bodies for $799.96.  I have a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 lens.  Really good quality at an affordable price, plus it has a good macro range for close up work.

Rule Britannia!
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

Colt SAA
by Brian Chiaravalle, on Flickr

DrFootball

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
What kind of photos are going to take with the camera (action, product shots, portraits)?  What are you going to do with the images (online only, prints, enlargements, mostly video)?

Brian he said he wants to do High speed, Gun pics...Gotta have at least 20MP and some nice Glass. We got a Sigma (For Nikon) fisheye, a 12-60 Sigma for Nikon(we also have the "Big Ma 50-500" -that's from when we were in Football Media, but we also Shot Airshows with it. I will attach a pic)
If you have a Costco card the 7200 Package with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses for $1400, which also includes a bag, 2 Memory Cards(32Gig I think) and a set of filters .....they also have just the 7200 Body for $549 and you can shop other venues for the best prices on the lenses you want. The Tameon 18-270 is$599...good all around lens if you can only get one right now..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk