Author Topic: Muzzle BREAKS & other things you can't stand  (Read 11127 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: Muzzle BREAKS & other things you can't stand
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
That is a VERY good definition. I think it just became my definitive definition for the difference between the two! Thank you.

You're welcome. I just searched what's the difference between a pistol and revolver and found this writer's guide to weapons. I only skimmed through it but it looks right except for maybe a pepperbox with stationary barrels. I thought all pepperboxes had revolving barrels, and handguns with multiple fixed barrels were just pistols. Judging by Wikipedia the .357 COP was a pepperbox too and I was wrong. I also came across a page where someone said the ATF considers all handguns to be pistols if they aren't revolvers. That's a simple enough definition. https://crimefictionbook.com/2015/10/22/revolver-pistol-differences/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
I just got done watching Jeepers Creepers 3 and was amused by the "20mm Vulcan" they had. The barrels were made out of thin tubing and in my estimation the bore would be around 35mm. It had a charging handle on the side and was belt fed with what looked like .50 BMG. There was a huge difference in size between the ammo and the bore of the barrels. As if all that wasn't ridiculous enough the barrels all fired but didn't rotate.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
I'm watching the latest episode of Van Helsing and they have a short-barrelled AR with BUIS folded down in the rear and no front sight whatsoever. I thought it was bad when people in all these different shows had ARs with no rear sight, but come on, anyone who knows what end the bullets come out of would know you need a front sight.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
Here's something I see so much I'm used to it and don't even care anymore. Someone gets shot and goes flying across the room. Even if the people making all the movies and TV shows that show this know nothing about guns, they should understand the most basic concepts of physics. If a guy gets blasted across the room and out the window with a shotgun, the person with the gun should fly backward too, if they could even hang on to the gun. If not, the gun should fly through the wall behind them. In this trailer for the movie The Babysitter, she gets shot with a pistol and goes flying across the room and slams into the wall. It happens at 1:45, so if you start at 1:40 you won't miss anything.

Foul language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibY77AWlUc

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:59:02 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
This is the closest example physics-wise, and still not even close to Hollyweird's antics.
Much of what happens in this video is due to poor stance and not being prepared for it.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I've noticed in most movies and TV shows that if a bullet doesn't go completely through someone, it usually penetrates an inch or two, and is easy to dig out. Once the bullet is out they're okay. All the damage it causes doesn't matter as long as you get that pesky bullet out. Sometimes they just slap a bandage on and they're good to go. If it's a through and through, a bandage on the front only seems to be good enough. Or just keep pressure on it. The other bullet hole doesn't matter. Other times they'll sew up the wound on the front, and ignore the one on the back if there is one. Getting gut shot and bleeding internally isn't a problem as long as they sew the entry wound shut and slap on a bandage.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »
JumboFrank, as Bunny frequently tells me when I go apoplectic at some stupidity on the screen:  It's just TV, honey.

The idea of patching the front hole and leaving the back and achieving full and instantaneous recovery would have been quite helpful to a number of my brothers in Viet Nam.  Unfortunately, they didn't have the benefit of TV miracles.  Back and front required surgical repair and subsequent patching of both sides, and recovery was never instant.

But, it's Hollywood.

FWIW,
Crusader Rabbit
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
If something unreal happens in a magical, mystical, alternate reality setting that's okay. But when unreal things are portrayed as happening in the real world, it detracts from the viewing experience for me. Some people are stupid enough to believe that if they put a bandage over the front and back bullet holes, ignoring everything in between, all will be okay. I hope I never have to rely on them for medical care. On the show 911 a guy had a piece of rebar through his head. Doctors pulled it out and the next week he was back at work and completely healed. That's nearly as bad as the people who are shot and then back at work the next day.

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1438
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
I, unfortunately, am into Guns, Ham Radio, and I am an I.T. guy (Also an ex-navy Nuclear power ET). That means I drive my wife absolutely NUTS pointing out mistakes on T.V. to the point she often does not want to be around me when watching T.V.

Like stated, to me, it takes away from the entertainment when the script defers too far away from the truth. Movies that "get it right" are way more entertaining to me unless the movie is meant to be pure fantasy, say like Avatar, or something like that.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk