Author Topic: Photobucket Officially Sucks!  (Read 7139 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Photobucket Officially Sucks!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Never mind, I got it.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:56 PM »
I just spend over 2 hours downloading all of my pictures from Photobucket into, "My Pictures". It took forever because Photobucket kept locking up, and ran slower then hell. I'm done with them forever! Tomorrow I'll upload them into Imgur. It shouldn't take half as long.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Our staff photog recommends smugmug.   I have an account there and I like it.  It allows you to customize your web page for visitors.   You can also restrict downloads and charge for your pictures.   Of course it's not free, but it is my primary storage place for all family photos.    Feel free to check out mine at my last name dot org.

I do have a free photobuket account but that's only for "for sale" postings and other odd stuff.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
I just spend over 2 hours downloading all of my pictures from Photobucket into, "My Pictures". It took forever because Photobucket kept locking up, and ran slower then hell. I'm done with them forever! Tomorrow I'll upload them into Imgur. It shouldn't take half as long.
mine has been running for the last 2 days.  I had 6 accounts too close out.  Had 3 done when I left this morning.   I havethem set up too happen one right after each other.

Still bot sure where I am going too host them, but many if the pics it was the only digital copy I had, scanning hunsreds of old family photos 15+ years ago, and 6 computers.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
Be considering a "hard copy" back up of your pictures in addition to the easy access one on line.

A single Blu-ray disc will hold from 25GB to 128GB depending upon the number of layers.  Not sure what is available for home recording equipment, but if it is feasible,  make two copies...one set to keep at home and one set for a safe deposit box.

Having  your only copy in the custody of someone you don't know and can't trust is risky.

After checking I see Blu-ray recorders are not cheap..and DVD's look to hold 9GB max...from what I have found...

So, a 200GB collection would require 25 or so DVDs...50 for duplicate copies

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:05:04 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
I don't leave anything on a cloud for too long...

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »
I keep all of my pictures backed up on a separate external drive attached to the USB on my router.  It' s password, protected, etc.  Also, I leave the drive off until I want to back up to add to security of someone getting to it.

It's a mirrored drive as in I have two drives in the box and what I copy to one drive is mirrored on the 2nd drive automatically.  So, anyone here in the house (or remotely via internet if I open it up and we use additional password) can backup and save to it manually or automatically (provided they walk over and turn it on).

So when I leave for while I drop the backup in the safe.  I also upgrade the dang thing every 3-5 years (for a couple of hundred bucks) not that the old one is bad...I permanently "save it" in the safe or in an otherwise protected place and add to it with the new one.  So...it is likely I will never lose everything.

The online picture thing I used only for posting on boards like this.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
Be considering a "hard copy" back up of your pictures in addition to the easy access one on line.

A single Blu-ray disc will hold from 25GB to 128GB depending upon the number of layers.  Not sure what is available for home recording equipment, but if it is feasible,  make two copies...one set to keep at home and one set for a safe deposit box.

Having  your only copy in the custody of someone you don't know and can't trust is risky.

After checking I see Blu-ray recorders are not cheap..and DVD's look to hold 9GB max...from what I have found...

So, a 200GB collection would require 25 or so DVDs...50 for duplicate copies

How many photo albums would that be ?

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
A hard drive enclosure with a fan and for 2 drives (one backing up the other) run from $45 to $130 at Newegg.  1 terabyte drives start around $45 so buy 2 at $90.  For $150 you have 1 TB of backup with a full backup on that TB or you can set it up for 2 TB.  Plug it into your computer USB or the router like I do.  Sure beats putting the things on discs that takes so much time. 

If you want you can buy 3 drives.  When you get it backed up for the first time take one of the two drives out and put it in your safe deposit box and then plug the 3rd into the enclosure.  It will automatically mirror from the remaining drive no work to do.  Then, after a few months, put the saved drive back in to update while you put the 3rd drive in storage and rotate them that way.

2 are fine for me but if you are really anal you can buy 3 drives.  If super anal you can get enclosures for 3 or 4 drives and back all the suckers up to the primary drive.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
A hard drive enclosure with a fan and for 2 drives (one backing up the other) run from $45 to $130 at Newegg.  1 terabyte drives start around $45 so buy 2 at $90.  For $150 you have 1 TB of backup with a full backup on that TB or you can set it up for 2 TB.  Plug it into your computer USB or the router like I do.  Sure beats putting the things on discs that takes so much time. 

If you want you can buy 3 drives.  When you get it backed up for the first time take one of the two drives out and put it in your safe deposit box and then plug the 3rd into the enclosure.  It will automatically mirror from the remaining drive no work to do.  Then, after a few months, put the saved drive back in to update while you put the 3rd drive in storage and rotate them that way.

2 are fine for me but if you are really anal you can buy 3 drives.  If super anal you can get enclosures for 3 or 4 drives and back all the suckers up to the primary drive.

I would do something like that in a heartbeat.......... If I knew how.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk