Author Topic: Barrel Pressure Points  (Read 7425 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
Re: Barrel Pressure Points
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
The only experience I have along these lines involves this Marlin X-7 in .223 I picked up a year or so ago. It came out of the box with a butt ugly, black plastic molded stock. So I bought this nice Thumbhole Laminated Model from Boyd's Gunstocks. It came as a 100% finished, drop in stock.

BEAUTIFUL
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »

You can accomplish the same thing with the shims previously mentioned.

Have you tried them?  My question is if stabilizers work.  I know you can adjust pressure with shims, but can you fine tune equally as well with the stabilizer?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
I don't know if this actually works but I saw a magazine article about it ages ago. You take your barrelled action and secure it in a vise with nothing touching the barrel. Place a U-bolt over the barrel behind where the end of the fore-end would be, and hit the action with a mallet. If it works as advertised it will cause vibrations in the barrel that will make the U-bolt move up or down the length of the barrel a bit. Where it settles is one of the harmonic balance points and that's where you should apply pressure with a shim. It could be true but I know little about the harmonic properties of barrels. It's just one of the things I read about in the last 40 years or so.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »
I think stabilizers work...from what I've read anyway.  I will shim with a business card if I need it.  Stabilizer may be better but...$$$$...so a piece of plastic business cart will be the ticket for me.

If that doesn't work it's off to the gun show!!!!
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
If that doesn't work it's off to the gun show!!!!

I'm beginning to detect a pattern here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:51:48 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 07:59:53 AM »
I don't know if this actually works but I saw a magazine article about it ages ago. You take your barrelled action and secure it in a vise with nothing touching the barrel. Place a U-bolt over the barrel behind where the end of the fore-end would be, and hit the action with a mallet. If it works as advertised it will cause vibrations in the barrel that will make the U-bolt move up or down the length of the barrel a bit. Where it settles is one of the harmonic balance points and that's where you should apply pressure with a shim. It could be true but I know little about the harmonic properties of barrels. It's just one of the things I read about in the last 40 years or so.

I am not an expert either but it sounds like it would work. But instead of a mallet, I would use something continuous like a small motor that you have made off balance. Maybe the motor out of a case tumbler? Just hold it against the action until the u-bolt centers and doesn't move anymore!I have a Midway case tumbler that it is easy to remove the motor out of. It is just a motor with a fan with 3 of the 4 blades taken off.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
I am not an expert either but it sounds like it would work. But instead of a mallet, I would use something continuous like a small motor that you have made off balance. Maybe the motor out of a case tumbler? Just hold it against the action until the u-bolt centers and doesn't move anymore!I have a Midway case tumbler that it is easy to remove the motor out of. It is just a motor with a fan with 3 of the 4 blades taken off.

Try a vibrating palm sander with no sandpaper attached..... hold the foam pad to the receiver with the barrel leveled (if the barrel ain't close to level, the u-bolt will slide off regardless of the implement used).
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
I'm beginning to detect a pattern here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now...why would you say that?   ::)

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
Years ago (1969) I had a remington 700 bdl heavy barrel 22-250 varmint rifle.  I had similar problems as mentioned here, so I got out my trusty round rasp and opened up the barrel channel.  That really improved the rifle to 1/2" groups @ 100.  I then placed stacked brass shims at the fore arm, back about 4-5" and removed/added shims to check groups  at the range.  I found that with THAT rifle free floating worked fine, with its heavy barrel.
After many years shooting, the groups began to open up to 3/4-1". The barrel was toast after over 5000 rounds with 53 grain at 3500 fps.  The cost to replace the barrel was actually within $50.00 of a new Savage 12bvss, (26 inch barrel fluted heavy barrel) and this rifle out of the box easily equaled the remington's groups. The 12BVSS did not require any tuning except to break in the barrel.  I was so happy, I bought a 2nd 12BVSS and it shoots just fine. The cost was higher for the 2nd rifle.
So, I guess it all depends on the rifles, your ammo, and patience.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 02:37:54 PM »
That's a good story.  My patience is about where it's going to end up...I might try shimming the front because it's easy but if it's not a shooter it goes to the gun show!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk