Author Topic: Irma and Florida  (Read 17904 times)

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Irma and Florida
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
I fill a 33 gal plastic trash can in my tub with potable water but use it to flush and bathe with... it still gives me access to the shower drain, that the filled tub does not... I use a dedicated garden sprayer (no insecticide/herbicide) to provide water pressure to shower with... painted black, it allows a warm shower if power is off... stay safe Florida

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
to disinfect drinking water with bleach... 8 drops per gallon for clear water, let stand 30min, and be sure to slosh the solution over the mouth of the container

for bulk storage... 2ml will give you this 8 drop/gallon concentration in 20L (5 gal) of water

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:30 PM »
to disinfect drinking water with bleach... 8 drops per gallon for clear water, let stand 30min, and be sure to slosh the solution over the mouth of the container

for bulk storage... 2ml will give you this 8 drop/gallon concentration in 20L (5 gal) of water

Les, maybe you can help with a question I have.  I am using Water Bricks to store water long term.  I fill them with tap water and wonder how long the water will stay "fresh" with the lids tight?   And what treatment should be used when they are needed to be opened...even if "just to be on the safe side"?

Water Bricks 3.5 gallons each.   Buy 10 from Overstocked for $162 plus shipping

https://www.overstock.com/Emergency-Preparedness/Stackable-Portable/28110/subcat.html?featuredproduct=10398688&featuredoption=15930262&cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=17501122-000-000&gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1pCHqwxhQG34-82FlbzY_YgnRe6zzXt5Pbh0096inu_R4RNTvSsamxoCFJAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COC47cOwltYCFYcMgQodxd8PLg
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1087
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

Be sure to use regular bleach only, and not scented, Splash-Less, etc. Here's some of the information from the Clorox web page on treating water with bleach. I recommend everyone read the whole page.

"ONLY use Clorox® Regular-Bleach or new Concentrated® Clorox® Regular-Bleach.  DO NOT use the Scented bleaches, High Efficiency bleach, Splash-Less bleach, Clorox® Ultimate Care Bleach, or the Clorox® Bleach Pen Gel."

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/disaster-preparedness-purifying-water/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Solus.... I change my stored water out at the beginning of hurricane season each year (June for me), so mine is no more than a year old... I add the 2 milliliter of unscented Clorox for each of the 20 liter (5 gal containers) at the time they are filled, and not when used... I did not write down where I got the test strips, but found some with low part per million test range... around 3ppm is recommended to sufficiently kill the critters... I have a Sawyer .1 micron 5 gallon bucket system just in case

I would think that as long as the available chlorine is 2 to 3 ppm, it could be stored for a couple of years... my thinking is that the chlorine in the water will help inhibit any growth in the container to some extent

the 2ml comes from 5 gal x 8 drops = 40drops....   typically 20 drops per ml, so 2ml give me the 8 drop concentration

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:07:16 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
....I add the 2 milliliter of unscented Clorox for each of the 20 liter (5 gal containers) at the time they are filled, and not when used...

Isn't there a product specifically made for the treatment of stored drinking water? I would think there would be, as opposed to using a laundry product that wasn't manufactured for human consumption. During times like this there would certainly be a market for it up and down the Gulf Coast. From Brownsville to Key West.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
Yes there are specific chemicals for this.  But they all are either sodium hypochlorite (which is bleach) or iodine.  Instead of showing NACIO they list ingredients in their elemental concentration in the water solution they put them in as sodium, oxygen, chlorine. 

I'd rather drink a little bleach (think swimming pool oops) than iodine....but I have both.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Timothy

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
And keep in mind that chlorine has been used in municipal water for decades.

I vote for rum, 40 proof or higher, like the oldie time sailors did!  Build a still...

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
Isn't there a product specifically made for the treatment of stored drinking water? I would think there would be, as opposed to using a laundry product that wasn't manufactured for human consumption. During times like this there would certainly be a market for it up and down the Gulf Coast. From Brownsville to Key West.

Plain old bleach is the chemical.  The only difference between plain bleach and the sodium hypochlorite used commercially is the concentration, and often that isn't even different.

A cool thing about bleach is that when you add it to water and let it work, which doesn't take long, you can then throw an aerator in the water and get rid of the chlorine taste and smell.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Or use a charcoal filter to get rid of it.

A lot of the special "deck cleaning" and outdoor "industrial" cleaners at the big home stores are sodium hypochlorite.  The thing to watch for is the concentration...the name brand bleaches are usually 4-5% and you can get the no-names a lot cheaper with some up to 6% or higher concentration.  Some of the liquid pool cleaners are a much higher concentration and that's what I use to clean decks and concrete....a bargain compared to "fit for purpose (to clean out your wallet)" industrial cleaners.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk