Author Topic: I'm Reloading Less Than I Had Planned  (Read 3782 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
I'm Reloading Less Than I Had Planned
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:46:51 AM »
The last 5 or 6 years I was working, I planned for my retirement both financially, as well as by stocking up on components for reloading. I retired 3 years ago, and figured by being on a fixed income, it would be smart to have as many components on hand as possible. So I could still shoot as much as I like.

Now that I'm 3 years into retirement, I have yet to reload a cartridge, in spite of shooting far more. (I usually average 2 trips a week to the range). I'm finding a couple of reasons for this. First, is the fact the more common calibers are really cheap since Trump and the Republicans were elected. I can find 9 MM FMJ for sale around me for as little as $ 9.00 to $ 9.50 a box. Even cheaper online. It just doesn't pay to reload at that price. Even if you buy the components in bulk. .45 ACP is $ 12.00 to $ 15.00 a box if you shop around online. I still save all the brass however.

As far as high powered rifle, I've found I have so much stockpiled it will be years before I need to reload for them. I'm also finding that I'm not shooting cartridges like .30-06, .300 Win. Mag., .300 Weatherby Magnum, and .375 H&H as much as I used to, now that I'm getting older. And when I do, I'm not shooting as much of them as I did 20 or 30 years ago. Let's face it, the older you get, the harder it is to take all that recoil without getting sore. And shooting should be fun, not painful.

Lastly was the very pleasant fact that I found that after I retired I have more money coming in than when I was working. My tax liabilities are far less, and many of my investments are paying far more than I thought they would. We have no children, and my wife is very frugal and doesn't buy much. So financially it's all working out better than I thought it would. Especially now that I'm on Medicare, and I don't have health insurance worries. (The last 2 years I was working it was costing us a fortune for good coverage).

Probably the one caliber I will eventually reload for is .223 / 5.56 MM, to keep all my AR-15's fed. I have a lot of brass and components. And I can buy ready to load brass for just $ 265.00 for 2,500 cases from here.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/popular-products-front-page/556-processed-military-brass-500-pieces.html

For that price it's worth it not to have to mess with resizing, depriming, trimming, and cleaning. It can go straight from the box, right into the press. And .223 is still expensive, going around here for $ 6.00 to $ 7.00 a box of 20. Or $ 300.00 a case of 1,000. So that is still worth my time on a Dillon progressive to reload them. I'm happy about all of this, because the older I get the more I like shooting. And the bigger chore reloading becomes. It's not that I "hate" it. It's just far more fun to pull a trigger, than it is a reloading press handle.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm Reloading Less Than I Had Planned
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »
get a 9mm PCC (pistol caliber carbine).... you will shoot more   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
get a 9mm PCC (pistol caliber carbine).... you will shoot more   ;D

I got one. Rock River Arms LAR-9. 9 MM AR-15 Carbine

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »
Silly Les, telling Billt he should get a gun....  =) =)
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
now, get a bunch of old (really old) friends and shoot USPSA PCC division (super senior)....  ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:31:44 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
My reloading has been down lately too.  I've been buying a bunch of American Eagle ammo lately to use in matches, because they're been offering a 25% rebate.   

Still for practice, $13/hundred is a lot cheaper than any commercial stuff.   (9mm)

Used Armscor USA, .38spl, at IRC.   Am going to try Choice Ammo out of Montana next.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
There are two things that still drive me to reload:

1.  Cowboy loads:  I down load the .38spl and top it with grits, and down load the 12 ga;
2.  Reloading still gives me time to think about past and future matches and double the enjoyment of shooting.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:21:27 AM »
I'm obviously working too much. 

Mike, when are you going to get back down this-a-way?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk