Author Topic: What .22lr Is On Your Wall?  (Read 11436 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: What .22lr Is On Your Wall?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
Geoff did that one hit you 'tween the eyes?   :o
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
I know I talked about this build for several years, but finally got the receiver to finish it out.

It's a 10/22 with a TactSol fluted barrel.  Wow!  Is it ever light., 5#s.  Hogue molded stock, Burris Fast Fire sight.

Don't need a new trigger.   Maybe a longer bolt lever is all.

How's it shoot.  Well it's raining today so I went to the 25yd indoor range.  After finally getting it sighted in, here's a 10 shot group standing at 25yds.  (Okay, I did lean a little against the wall of the stall.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »
Alf... if you start getting first shot flyers after dropping the bolt, but good rest of group, limit the vertical play of your firing pin...

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:50 PM »
Nylon 66, .ca 452 American, sw 41, been looking too add another pistol, just not found anything that says buy me.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
TAB... you need a SW617

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 06:40:46 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1088
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
For 30 bucks more than a plain Ruger Mark IV you can get a Turnbull color case hardened one. Even the thread protectors on the threaded barrel models are color case hardened. Does that say buy me? https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/turnbull-ruger-mark-iv-turnbull-mfg/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
Alf... if you start getting first shot flyers after dropping the bolt, but good rest of group, limit the vertical play of your firing pin...

He Les, we need to capture all of your helpful hints for 10/22's in a thread.  Why don't you think about the tricks you know that work and what you've seen that doesn't work and post it here?  You'd be helping more than a few of us out. 

Maybe a several threads.  Something in general as on a thread that applies broadly to rifle or pistol or shotgun....and then some specific threads for 10/22's, AR-15's, pistol cartridge AR-15's?

About the only think I can think of adding right now is to add an o-ring at the end of the barrel of a 10/22 where it butts to the receiver to help quieten a suppressed 10/22.

I'm just sayin'..... 

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
Les, we need to capture all of your helpful hints for 10/22's in a thread.

I'm just sayin'.....

I agree.  There should be a sticky of helpful hints.  I'd suggest keeping them separate.  One for 10/22, one for ARs, a separate for AR pistol.  One for AKs.   etc.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:25:12 PM »
the evolution of my STC 10/22... if you are not familiar with the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge, it was a three man team event over two days... one day required .22lr rifle, .22lr pistol, and  center fire pistol the other shotgun....various combinations of rifle and pistol were shot... the long range targets were 10 steel falling plates at 90yd protected by various shape cut outs... circle, triangle, square, diamond, star, shot off hand... the star was the most difficult ... you were allowed two loaded magazines, 2 1/2 minute time limit, and had to reload magazine under time... the long range had about 45 targets IIRC... with a couple of 1" bonus targets at 75yd... another had vertical racks of 4" targets, that "unlocked" 2" targets out to 75yd

year 1... regular 10/22  with the addition of a Clark fluted match barrel, in factory custom stock, no barrel band... Leupold scope mount to receiver... Tasco AO 6-24x44  1/8 minute click, 1/8 minute cross hair dot....reduced the depth of the sear notch on the hammer, but otherwise pretty much stock... all 3 guns had loose mounts after the match (they had been loctited)

year 2... built a fixture so I could reduce the depth of the hammer notch by precision grinding of the hammer's bottom radius, another fixture to hold a square ceramic stone parallel in the hammer notch to incrementally change the angle of the trigger engagement ...adjustable with a fine thread cap screw...so the trigger would not "cock" the hammer ... (checked with a dial indicator)....relocated the trigger return plunger so that it pushed directly forward on the trigger and not diagonally across it... built a scope mount that cantilevered directly off the barrel...added a Fajen thumbhole stock...the trigger could be adjusted down to 10oz, but that was way too lite, so adjusted  to give a 1 1/2# pull...had a informative talk with Ken Tapp and David Tubb at the match

year 3... Ken Tapp suggested full length bedding of the barrel, and adding a second mounting bolt and not try to support the barrel with the aluminum receiver as if it were full floated... David Tubb suggested reducing the head space of the bolt... I did both...made a cheek cut out to allow the rifle to be held more vertically... got better with higher magnification of the scope in practice

year 4... added a harmonic tuner for the barrel... my SW M41 liked WinSuper X high velocity ammo (you had to knock down the steel plates so we opted for the supposedly less accurate high velocity ammo)... this really helped as you could tune the barrel vibration harmonic to the ammo, rather than searching for the lot of ammo that worked the best... a piece of 1 1/4 inch round aluminum stock about 4" long was center bored for the .930 barrel... a lengthwise saw cut, and two cross pinch bolts was added... you shot a group at 100yd, and moved the harmonic tuner... you could watch the groups open and close with the slight change of location... on a wind less day off a rest it would consistently put 10 shots on an IPSC paster at 100yd

year 5... the added accuracy from the tuner showed up a first shot flyer when dropping the bolt by hand...scratched my head, but in looking at the bolt noticed that the firing pin had considerable up/down motion...we had played with some of the high end match ammo, that had the dimple in the middle to evenly distribute the priming compound around the rim, so it occurred that the ignition might be at fault... ground a "v" to a hardened cap screw, and tapped it into the firing pin slot to limit vertical movement... a friend then TIG welded it in place, and faced it down... no more first round flyers...built a cartridge rim thickness check gauge to separate "match" ammo, but spent most of the time working with the pistol and a couple of scopes...at the time I could still see pretty well, and shot it better with open sights, which I used... this was the last year (1998) the match was held in south Florida... it was one of the most fun matches I have competed in

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
Scored a CZ 452 FS in 22LR.  Gunbroker...cost me too much but they quit making them 6-7 years ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk