Author Topic: AR-15 vs. M-16 Bolt Carrier Group ??  (Read 2615 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
AR-15 vs. M-16 Bolt Carrier Group ??
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:01:49 AM »
Got a question for you AR guys. With all other things equal, (Buffer tube, and buffer tube spring), is running an M-16 bolt carrier group easier on the gun than an AR-15 bolt carrier group is? What I mean is, I swapped out the stock AR-15 bolt carrier group from one of my Bushmaster M-4's, and installed a Nickel Boron Coated M-16 bolt carrier group from Aries Armor. The gun runs fine. Both feeds and ejects beautifully. I'm thinking with the added mass of the M-16 BCG, it will be somewhat easier on the gun because it will slow down the cycle time.

Am I right or wrong? I'm asking because I have another BCM M-16 BCG I'm thinking of putting in my other Bushmaster 20" rifle. I figure since I have the thing, why not use it? I bought it for an "emergency" spare. But I figure I'll run it and keep the original as a spare. I would rather not start switching buffer tubes and springs. Especially since what I've got already in there is working fine. What do you guys think? This is the M-4, and the 20" rifle I want to put the BCM M-16 BCG in.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
Re: AR-15 vs. M-16 Bolt Carrier Group ??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
They were originally designed to use M16 BCGs so unless they changed something else besides the BCG I would go ahead and use them.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »
BillT, you're correct, the M-16 bolt is heavier and slows the cyclic rate which in turn makes for less wear on the rifle.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1036
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
Here's an article about bolt carriers that compares the M16 style and what came in my Colt. I also have the original style solid firing pin retainers shown here in both of my ARs. They don't bend like the cotter pin style does. If one side of the end piece breaks off the retainer the rifle remains functional. http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/bolt-carrier-assembly-heart-ar-15/
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
I run M16 carriers in my ARs....just be sure that if you have an AR15 carrier that the firing pin is shrouded (you can't see the edge of the rear of the firing pin), so that on recoil, the hammer is cocked by the carrier and not the firing pin... my early Colt beat up the firing pin pretty severely

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:28:10 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk